question

rvncto avatar image
0 Likes"
rvncto asked

Using UPC with findCompletedItems API returning error.

According to the docs for this API : http://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/finding/CallRef/findCompletedItems.html I should be able to search by productId of type UPC When i construct my URL: ..."&productId.@type=UPC&productId.value=014100074106"... i keep getting the error back: errorId : 10 msg : "Invalid input data specified. Please specify data with appropriate data types." @name: "ORIGINAL_MESSAGE", __value__: "Data validation warning(line -1, col 0): unexpected element (uri:" http://www.ebay.com/marketplace/search/v1/services", local:"value"). Expected elements are <{}text>" the errorId doesnt make sense. And i can only see this message if i change the response to JSON am i not forming the URL correctly or is the API broke? thanks
errorfindcompleteditemsupc
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
1 Like"
clickimusprime answered
The forum garbled that, You can use the code icon (101 010). This forum software is terrible, so you can always post to pastebin and then post a link here if need be. Looks like it doesn't line productID.value : **unexpected element .... local:"value"** And it looks like the findCompletedItems docs are incorrect. Specify it like this (without .value) &productId.@type=UPC&productId=703639276883 As mentioned in another recent thread, the UPC database is not 100% populated. Use findItemsAdvanced to obtain a referenceId and use that instead of UPC. Also findCompletedItems doesn't work on EBAY-MOTOR.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

rvncto avatar image
0 Likes"
rvncto answered
Hi @clickprime, Thank you for your answer. It was indeed the "productId.value" that was screwing it up. The documentation for findCompletedItems is incorrect. I did notice that there were a lot of "not found" or wrong UPC associations. Thanks for clearing that up regarding the UPC database not being fully populated. Its strange though. The eBay IOS native app has a built in UPC scanner in the search, and that is very accurate and seems to be fully loaded. Is it a proprietary special database just for Ebay's own use? Im curious why you recommend using findItemsAdvanced to get a referenceId first? Why use the 2 step process if we already know what item we are looking for in the first place? maybe im misunderstanding the flow. Thanks again

clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered
**Is it a proprietary special database just for Ebay's own use?** It's probably the redlaser lookup service. The same is used in the Android app. It's a signed API, not open access. **Im curious why you recommend using findItemsAdvanced to get a referenceId first? Why use the 2 step process if we already know what item we are looking for in the first place? maybe im misunderstanding the flow.** You know the UPC, but the ReferenceID gives you a way into the APIs that don't have complete UPC linkage. Once you get the ReferenceID, you should be able to lookup any item with the API calls that fail on UPC. If that fails, then they probably don't have the item cataloged. This has been an ongoing issue for years, so don't expect it to be resolved anytime soon. Not sure why they maintain so many separate UPC translation systems.

oh , you mean the **findItemsAdvanced** might not match with their UPC db. thats funky. But i get what you mean now. Thanks for taking the time to answer @clickprime.
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.