question

b.morel avatar image
0 Likes"
b.morel asked ·

Affiliate tracking not working for EBAY-FRCA global ID

Hi, I've been playing with the finding API lately, and noticed that the affiliate tracking information is not always working. As an example, let's start with this working request on the EBAY-US global ID: X-EBAY-SOA-SECURITY-APPNAME: xxxxxxxxx X-EBAY-SOA-OPERATION-NAME: findItemsAdvanced X-EBAY-SOA-GLOBAL-ID: EBAY-US Content-Type: text/xml Content-Length: 324 Marc Levy 267 1234567890 9 The viewItemURL received in the response does contain the proper affiliate tracking, as expected: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?ff3=2&toolid=10044&campid=1234567890&customid=&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466&item=191420075194 However if I switch to the EBAY-FRCA global ID: X-EBAY-SOA-GLOBAL-ID: EBAY-FRCA Here is the response I get: http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/If-Only-It-Were-True-by-Marc-Levy-2000-Cassette-Unabridged-/361119211993?pt=US_Audiobooks This is a non-tracked, direct eBay link! Is this a bug in the eBay Finding API, or did I miss something? It's quite a nasty situation, as if I use this, I would be sending free, non-tracked traffic to eBay! Thanks in advance for any insight.
findingtrackingaffiliate.trackingidfindingsapi
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Note: after testing all the global IDs, it seems that `EBAY-PH` and `EBAY-PL` have the same issue.
0 Likes 0 · ·
clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered ·
If you build your own links, you also need to sub in the rotation/placement id for FRCA. See the EPN blog for more info.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
While EBAY-FRCA is supported by ePN and thus should be included in the roverized API-returned URLs that they offer as a courtesy, I think for some reason they've never been roverized, and have always been an exception. I remember someone (maybe me) asked about this years ago in one of the former eBay Dev forums, and a eBay support rep said that it was a "business decision" as to why they weren't roverized. Not that I understand that, but I generally recall that was the response. As for PH and PL, they aren't supported by ePN, so you're not missing anything by not getting rover links back from the API.
· 1 · Share

Interesting, thanks for these precisions. It definitely makes sense for PH and PL, though I'm a bit perplex as to why it would be a "business decision" to not roverize EBAY-FRCA, as it is generating commissions on ePN AFAIK!
0 Likes 0 · ·
clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered ·
Confirmed. Build your own links using the roverized format and substitute the correct item ID.
· 1 · Share

So I guess we should file a bug with eBay, but it looks like we need to pay for support to be able to file a bug?
0 Likes 0 · ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.