question

$$anonymous$$ avatar image
1 Like"
$$anonymous$$ asked ·

10,000 item limit when searching by category

Is there any way of overcoming the 10,000 item limit when searching by category?

I have tried using both the findItemsAdvanced and findItemsByCategory calls, but both are restricted by this limit:

Note: No more than 10,000 items can be retrieved for a given search, regardless of how many matches are found. This limit is enforced by the maximum page number allowed (100) and the maximum entries per page allowed (100). 

To give you some idea of how restricting this is, looking in the Women's Handbags category (for example), using a 48 item view, there are currently 9351 pages available. That means there are 448848 items available in that category -- just less than 1/2 a million. With a 10k limit on the item numbers that I can retrieve, I can access only about 2% of the available items.

Is there another API call that I should be using? All I need to retrieve is a paginated list if item numbers.

Thanks for any help you can give.

finding-api
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
rekha.developersupport@ebay.com avatar image
0 Likes"
rekha.developersupport@ebay.com answered ·

Hello lnetherton,

The calls limit results to the first 10,000 items.  You may wan to consider using keywords along with the category to help you narrow down the results and present just those that may be relevant to your user.  There are no other APIs that will allow search for items across the site.

10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.