question

maltkhre avatar image
0 Likes"
maltkhre asked

Where can I apply for usage rights of an eBay logo and the eBay rating stars?

I have been developing a set of widgets for ebay since there were no widgets that had the feature set that I needed and now want to publish them to the public. To be anywhere competive I need two graphics elements for the user profile widget: - an eBay logo - the eBay rating star(s) I've been working my way through the logo usage terms (eg http://go.developer.ebay.com/developers/helping-developers-connect-people-things-they-need-love/how-to-guides/developer-marketi-7) and I am confused since the usage terms don't seem to fit what I see out on the web. For example there's a site named salvessurvey.de that uses ebay logos in variants that I don't see covered by the tems that I found so far. Logos on various backgrounds, with 3d effect etc. Another site named auctionnudge.com has a ebay logo on their profile widget, but a variant without any additional text like "developer" or "right now on" - so that doesn't seem to be allowed by the logo usage terms either. I tried to apply for the same ebay logo as the one on the auctionnudge profile at http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/permission-request.html but I received the following reply: "Thank you for your inquiry. We do not permit the use of the logo for the stated purpose and in the stated manner." I then tried to ask the support where auctionnudge got the license to use the logo but I had trouble understanding the reply, maybe because english is not my native language: "I do not show AuctionNudge has permission to use the logo. " I find it hard to imagine that ebay doesn't take legal steps if these graphical elements were used without permission, so wonder if I oversee something. Is there another place where I can apply for the ebay logo? And how about the rating stars? I wasn't able to find any infos on usage terms for this graphical element anywhere on the ebay partner site. Auction Nudge is using the ebay originals hosted by ebay, so there might be some kind of info somewhere that I couldn't find? Thanks for your help.
logostar
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
I don't have any definitive answers for you, but let me ask: Where will your eBay widgets apppear? On eBay? On another website? If the widget will appear on another website, just use the Right Now on eBay logo and you should be fine.
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

maltkhre avatar image
0 Likes"
maltkhre answered
The widget will load from my api servers but appear on other websites. I am planning to block URLs that contain "ebay", so there won't be any listings on ebay internally (or sites that use the trademark illegally). As you suggested I will try the "Right Now On"-eBay logo. I was worried about it only being usable along eBay listings but now think I might have been a bit over cautious about the rule "The logo must not be used in connection with non-eBay content.". The user profile is a form of eBay content, too. Nice, now I just have to figure out how to handle the stars. Thanks a lot for your reply.
10 |600

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
If you were to use the same stars in the same context and way that eBay uses them for feedback, I suspect that eBay wouldn't have a problem with that. But if you want to be ultra-safe legally (not such a bad idea, just in case), why not have someone design some replica stars for you? Same colors and designs, but built from scratch, just for your use. Places like Fiverr.com should get you some cheap rates for a tiny design project like that.
10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.