question

space_x-half avatar image
1 Like"
space_x-half asked

Complaints about the LMS Documentation

I have been working with LMS for a few months. The info I have needed to do this has been very much "unnecessarily" difficult to find. Sure there are basic descriptions, and I have finally worked out most of the problems, but: 1. Samples only do a very basic job to do downloads and have none of the intricate steps involved to show how to do the basic Revision or AddItem upload and response type jobs. 2. Jobs fail while in process, and because of limitations (only one active job allowed) you must know or figure out how to get the job status, which statuses to get to determine that the job is still active, and retrieve the jobId, then learn how to abort a job. Really, this is a requirement, and should be included in a sample to make it easy to do or copy to add to your code. Server glitches happen all the time, and you can easily start a job, and have the upload or download fail. Rather than return an error, how about just removing the old job, if we try to issue another and the old one was already created and never processed? 3. To do LMS you must write and use two different ZIP formats? Really? One would not do the job? 4. There are no example XML Request or Response samples. We are left with digging to realize that we must use the Trading API samples. In the Trading API ReviseFixedItem input sample, there is one BDX Relist sample that may be found by accident at the bottom of the page. Why not a one-Item Revise sample, instead? They are not the same thing! 5. Why aren't such things documented in one easy to find place, rather than requiring developers to search for hours to find solutions? At least sample XML files and caveats? 6. You get an error complaining about an incorrect schema version stating incorrectly that version 347 is required, and no info even in a forum about it. Requiring one to hunt the Internet for hours to find that it is caused because the Version tag is required in the Item Request, but outside the Item tag. Items have no property for versioning, so you wouldn't expect the Item Request to have one. A simple example ReviseFixedItem XML file would resolve the issue or an accurate error message like "No version tag in ReviseFixedItem tag". 7. Error handling sucks. How are we suppose to find the item in error to correct it when the Response file doesn't include an SKU or ItemId in the error tag? For example a photo error contain eBays URL, and renamed image. How is that helpful? Nothing about which item was in error! Why is Revise item doing a hard error on < 500 pixel images in the first place, if additem is allowing it? Why must we change the item URL to get it to change the image during a revision, when the API shouldn't have accepted them in the first place? Ether disallow small photos in AddItems, or allow us to change them without spending a week or more discovering the "trick" and jumping through hoops to do it! 8. The LMS sample uses a delegate and threading to launch the Jobs and FTP, making it difficult to just cut and paste parts, without using the example form to build it into an existing app. Rather than showing us your very impressive skillset, we have a job to do, so how about keeping it simple. Try thinking how can I make it easy to include the BDX and FTP classes and a code samples into an existing form and call them? Sure, it can be done, but you must know quite a bit, and jump through many hoops to get it to work. Wouldn't eBay be better served to simplify it a bit? 9. You surely must have a list of common complaints like this. How about posting them to help us find solutions? 10, There is no example error handling for Response files. If some had been written, you may have discovered that error responses have no ItemIDs or SKUs to reference the error back to. 11. There are no contacts who can actually speak with you intelligently about a problem or an error. It is convenient and I'm sure reduces your programmer's workload to require a credit card at a possible $175 per hour to even allow a developer to email you about an issue. I've worked for World Class companies where such a thing would never be allowed. How does a programmer learn he needs to address a problem if the cost of support is used to ward-off the bug reports? Christ! Make it easier to code to your service. The answer is not a new API. Just make a few fixes to this one. 12. Requests for help and Solutions are obviously being removed from the forum. It's odd how you can type something like ReviseFixedItem, or BDX in the search and hardly get a result. Please leave them in, so we can learn form them. The goal should be "How can we help developers to get large amounts of items loaded, and thus make eBay more money", not "How can we make more money from developer mistakes". It's a very large API and takes quite some time for developers to learn and get working. Many things can be simplified to make their jobs easier, and thus make your workload easier. I'm not saying that eBay's past work on providing documentation isn't appreciated, and even very useful, but it's very easy to get lost in the technology, and to loose site of the goal of helping developers to implement the various APIs. Hire some new programmers, who need to learn the systems anyway, and let them handle the help desk using a good solution database. At least let us work through a first tier of programmers, with access to common problems, before requiring us to pay for upper tier support. There is a lot of wasted time and money getting problems worked out on a full-blown application. Much more than is really necessary. Please look it all over with the idea of keeping it simple. It shouldn't take a programmer with God-like powers of troubleshooting to put together a useful inventory management application using the ebay apis.
supposrt issueslms bdx revisefixeditem support
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

bookfari avatar image
0 Likes"
bookfari answered
Hi All, I am getting error of MIP_1108 while passing distribution XML for the first time. I already uploaded an item via Product XML and now I wish to update the SKU with Price Details. This is my sample XML. BF_MIP_SKU_9780141351698 bookfari_Shipping 5 bookfari_Payment bookfari_return 111.00 false false false And I am getting response as MIP_1108 ERROR APPLICATION A fatal error occurred while processing your request: The file uploaded is not a valid zip or is damaged. Either (1) The zip file is invalid/damaged or (2) The transmission of the zip file was abruptly terminated. Please confirm that the zip file is indeed valid, and if so, re-submit it. FAILURE Am I missing some attribute. Please guide me..Thanks in advance

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ham_5672 avatar image
0 Likes"
ham_5672 answered
Hi all, Does LMS support OAuth (new security) ?

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.