question

$$anonymous$$ avatar image
0 Likes"
$$anonymous$$ asked ·

How to make sure that eBay notices that I directed a buyer to eBay on mobile devices?

Hello! Imagine, I have a system, which sends the user personalized product recommendations as eBay product URLs with my affiliate ID embedded in them. The user can see these URLs a) in his or her e-mail application and b) in the web browser. Most of my users access these links on their mobile devices. When they buy things on eBay, they mostly do it also on mobile devices. Imagine that 1) some opens the eBay product URL (which includes my affiliate ID), which my app sent him or her, 2) actually likes the product and then 3) buys the product via the eBay mobile app. What can I do in order to make sure that eBay notices that it was me, who directed that customer to eBay (i. e. how can I make sure that I get my commission on products, which I recommended to a user and which he or she ended buying in the eBay app) ? Thanks! Dmitri
affiliatemobile-app
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
1 Like"
helios825 answered ·
I think your process is well thought out and reasonable in theory -- except that I think eBay/ePN simply won't support it. (Nope, no Android libraries that I've heard of that'll tap into the eBay Mobile app.) The closest you can probably get is to send the user, upon clicking, to the eBay mobile version of their site. In that case, you still may need prior approval from ePN via their Downloadable Software Special Biz Model, since your clicks won't be coming from another website. But, I'm only about 60% sure of what I just said, as I haven't followed the eBay/ePN app support process all along very closely. I don't program phone apps myself. I encourage you to post your questions on the ePN forum-group, as you may get some more detailed answers.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
1 Like"
helios825 answered ·
In the case of clicking from their (mobile) web browser to eBay, your affiliate link should work normally, aside from all the usual exceptions -- like if they complete their purchase on a different device, or clear their cookies, etc. And if they buy the item via the eBay Mobile App, I'm pretty sure you won't get a commission, sadly. This is a frustrating limitation of eBay's affiliate program currently. If they click on your affiliate link from within their email client, even if within webmail, you'll need special permission from eBay Partner Network to have sent them affiliate links by email in the first place. There's a process called Special Business Model application/approval at ePN that you'd need to follow in advance of doing email promotions. After you've dealt with all of the above, you can begin to track/count your clicks and compare your own counts with the counts appearing in your ePN account. There are some issues to address with that process (time zones, bots, etc.), but it's a start, for verifying your clicks are tracking properly. And if you haven't been to the ePN forum-group, it's here: http://community.ebay.com/t5/eBay-Partner-Network/gp-p/ebay-partner-network

$$anonymous$$ avatar image
0 Likes"
$$anonymous$$ answered ·
Many thanks for your response! Are there any Android libraries, which would allow me to call eBay mobile app from my mobile app so that the eBay app knows my affiliate ID in case the user buys it? Like this: 1) I create a mobile app, which shows to the user eBay products. 2) When the user likes a certain item, she can press "View details" button. 3) Thereafter, my app sends a message (item ID and my affiliate ID) to the eBay app on the same device, the eBay app shows the product and if the user buys it, I get the commission.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.