question

essextrader2000 avatar image
0 Likes"
essextrader2000 asked ·

Average price

How can I get an average price an item sells for without using the research API? I want to use research api but teraspeak are not taking any new applications. I am building an app and would like ability to show user average price on ebay. There are many many websites that do this already and also show the low/high range and percent completed. Ebay has a tool that shows this info when you go to list an item, is this available through the API or do these sites scrape the data directly?
priceaverage
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
Hmmm. I see what you mean. I certainly can't give you a professional or legal answer on this, but here's my take on it: I would imagine that the larger the data set of eBay data you're performing any kind of statistical analysis on, the more likelihood you might come close to breaking the API terms on gathering data for analysis. The smaller the data set or time frame, the less likely. findCompletedItems (fCI) only goes back a few weeks, so that puts a limit on ya. I'm interpreting "Average selling price or gross merchandise sold for any eBay category" as referring to the entire category at once. But maybe I'm wrong. "Conversion, completion or success rates" - sounds like you maybe should steer clear of sell-thru rates on any items you publish in your site/app, if you want to play it safe. On the other hand, notice how it seems to be referring to specific users and groups of users, not items, so maybe you'd be ok with that. Maybe you can get permission from eBay for your specific situation? I don't know how you'd go about doing that. You might need to build a mock-up first, then hunt your way to the appropriate person @ eBay Developer Program to find the proper paper trail to follow. I wonder if these other sites you mention are just pretty small and flying under the radar. All in all, I don't have much concrete info to share; sorry. I'm inclined to think that for what you're seeking to do, it should probably be OK, but that's just my hunch on this, like ~65% sure. You seem to be looking to average data on the item level, not category level or user level or eBay site level. And you could probably only go back as far the Completed Items search on eBay itself anyway (via fCI). For both of those reasons, that's pretty much why I'm leaning on the affirmative side of the spectrum in your case. HTH.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

essextrader2000 avatar image
0 Likes"
essextrader2000 answered ·
I'd like to but the "you must not use this api for research purposes" is scaring me off right now. Also there is a part of the API terms that says: "3.1.4.1 You must have eBay’s express written permission to use or display eBay Content in any way that enables derivation of any of the following information: 3.1.4.1.1 Any site-wide statistics across eBay Sites or within any eBay Site; 3.1.4.1.2 Take-up rates for enhanced listings (for example, gallery, featured, category featured, etc.); 3.1.4.1.3 The gross merchandise sales of any eBay Sites or services, or **other statistics relating to the performance** (financial or otherwise) of any eBay Site or service; or 3.1.4.1.4 **Average selling price or gross merchandise sold for any eBay category**. 3.1.4.2 You must have eBay’s express written permission to use or display eBay Content in any way that enables derivation of the following information (other than an Authenticated eBay User’s access to his or her own information): 3.1.4.2.1 Information relating to specific eBay Users or types of eBay Users; 3.1.4.2.2 **Conversion, completion or success rates**; or 3.1.4.2.3 Reserve auction information. " There are so many sites that provide the high/low, average and completed rate. I am not sure if they are just breaking the terms or if they are pulling this information in a legal way from the listing tool or something. I could grab all these figures easily from the API but seeing as my aim is to send people to ebay to make a commission it would be pointless to break the terms and risk losing my account. I can see the reason ebay has restrictions as they have sold data rights to teraspeak, but all I want to do is provide some meta data in a price comparison between ebay, amazon and another retailer. Others seem to be doing this already but it is apparently a violation. I am confused, can anyone help?

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
Perhaps you could use the findCompletedItems API call (Finding API) and calculate an average/high/low yourself.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.