question

pogromca avatar image
0 Likes"
pogromca asked

GetSingleItem API method sometimes does not return full description

When calling GetSingleItem API method, once a while description is not returned properly. Here are 2 example that I just run into. They're both from the same seller using the same auctiva template: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GALAXY-NOTE-2-I317-T889-LCD-DIGITIZER-TOUCH-SCREEN-ASSEMBLY-FRAME-GRAY-As-Is-/231220069981?pt=US_Cell_Phone_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item35d5ca465d API returns this as description: "clarksattic Store GALAXY NOTE 2 I317 T889 LCD DIGITIZER TOUCH SCREEN ASSEMBLY FRAME GRAY As Is Every buyer gets a MyStoreRewards invitation for cash back" Here is another one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TIMBERLAND-Mens-2XL-XXL-Check-Gingham-Button-Front-Long-Sleeve-Shirt-/331190108900?pt=US_CSA_MC_Shirts&hash=item4d1c7802e4 API returns this as description: "clarksattic Store TIMBERLAND Men's 2XL XXL Check Gingham Button Front Long Sleeve Shirt" Actual description for those items contains a lot more than what API returns. This is a problem because there could be a lot in the description that I'm not seeing when calling GetSingleItem method. I've noticed this a few times before with certain auctiva templates but I didn't write down item numbers. I've tried using 3 different versions when calling API: 615, 825, 871. This happens in all 3 of them. Can somebody please take a look at this and fix this bug?
getsingleitemdescription issuegetsingleitem descriptiondescription truncated
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
Post a sample API call so we can troubleshoot it....
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pogromca avatar image
0 Likes"
pogromca answered
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

davidtsadler avatar image
0 Likes"
davidtsadler answered
It's because your request has [ IncludeSelector]( http://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/shopping/docs/CallRef/GetSingleItem.html#Request.IncludeSelector) set to **TextDescription** which tells eBay to strip out any html tags. If you want the full un-modified description you need to set it to **Description** instead.
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pogromca avatar image
0 Likes"
pogromca answered
All 4 of below examples are HTML auctions yet TextDescription strips it out correctly returning entire content of the description: http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&responseencoding=XML&appid=AppIdGoesHere&siteid=0&version=871&ItemID=201086320226&IncludeSelector=TextDescription,ItemSpecifics,Details http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&responseencoding=XML&appid=AppIdGoesHere&siteid=0&version=871&ItemID=390836838143&IncludeSelector=TextDescription,ItemSpecifics,Details http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&responseencoding=XML&appid=AppIdGoesHere&siteid=0&version=871&ItemID=201086432731&IncludeSelector=TextDescription,ItemSpecifics,Details http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&responseencoding=XML&appid=AppIdGoesHere&siteid=0&version=871&ItemID=231225195932&IncludeSelector=TextDescription,ItemSpecifics,Details In my 2 original examples, only very small part of the description is returned when I ask for TextDescription. This is an issue because if I make my purchase decision based on the information returned by this API method, I might be making incorrect decision because I only see less than 10% of description and I don't know that the other 90% is missing. Over 99% of the items returned by GetSingleItem method using TextDescription include entire description (even the ones that are HTML) but there is very small part of HTML auctions that are not stripped to text correctly (they're missing very large part of description). I'm asking somebody to take a look at what's causing this issue and try to fix it. Thanks, Robert
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.