question

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 asked ·

Request: FindPopularItems Enhancements

**FindPopularItems** (Shopping API) - It would be awesome if this call could be made current with the times, as it was developed back in 2007, before eBay features like multi-variation items and the Finding API. I can't find the old thread here on the new forum, but a few of us developers who use this API call posted a wishlist for it back in 2009 or so. Here are the things I'd love to see added to this call: 1) Include relevantly in results: **auctions with zero bids**. (Zero-bid auctions can still have accumulated lots of interest.) 2) Include relevantly in results: **BINs that still haven't made a sale** (whether single-quantity or multiple-quantity BINs). 3) **Input parameter to specify item type** of results: auction, or BIN, or Classified Ad. I would imagine #1 and #2 could potentially be easy for eBay to add to this call, if approved. Maybe #3 is a bit more work. I could talk more about the reasons for these and justify them; just holler if that would help. Thanks, eBay, for considering these. Anyone else - feel free to add requests to this list for this API call.
shopping apishoppingapifindpopularitems
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
I thought I'd take a moment and explain a bit more about the reasons behind my requests. FindPopularItems ("FPI") essentially returns most watched eBay items, whether for a specific category, or a keyword query (or both). Items are returned showing number of watchers, sorted descendingly. But the call has always ignored auctions with zero bids -- even though they may have accumulated many watchers and would otherwise be nestled within FPI's top-watched search results. Such items unfortunately have been simply absent from the call's output altogether. As an eBay affiliate, I'd love it if I could have those items included -- this would allow us to promote auctions that have garnished enough watchers to be included in the search results, but haven't yet received their first bid. Shouldn't we be trying to help our sellers get those initial bids in? Similar issue with fixed-price items (BINs). FPI has always ignored BINs that still haven't made a sale yet. This means ALL single-quantity BINs have simply never appeared in FPI search results -- again, even if they have accumulated many watchers and have thus substantiated themselves as attractive. If we could get those items included in FPI search results, the items with many watchers could finally be promoted in this manner, potentially stimulating sales for unique BIN items. Oh, and this last point also applies to multiple-quantity BINs that still have 0 items sold so far. Again, they can have many tallied watchers, exhibiting a strong indication of desirability, but never to be seen and promoted by FPI. (And this also affects multi-variation items, where only the already-sold variations currently are returned in results.) Input parameter/filter to specify item type of results: auction, or BIN (or Classified Ad)... This would be VERY helpful for the following reason: the number of watchers on auctions and BINs vary wildly and mean different things to these 2 classes of items. We all know the various differences between the these 2 types of listings, and when they are lumped together in FPI search results, it severly dilutes the value of comparing watcher counts and popularity. BINs can get 1,000's of watchers, because they often auto-relist each month and the counts roll over. The high number of watchers -- which makes BINs typically dominate FPI search results and overshadow auctions -- reflects a different kind of interest in such items, than that of auctions. By contrast, auctions have a limited lifespan, and the people watching those items are probably eyeing them for different reasons than the watchers of BINs. And the watcher count kind of "means" something differently because of the nature of the item. It would benefit our users if we could present to them popular items that are in either of the auction or BIN format, based on their interests. Yes, we can (and do) do client-side filtering on item type, but since this call has no pagination and since most results are BINs, it's hard to dig up auction listings within FPI results when all the auto-relisting, sky-high watcher count, commodity-style BIN items are monopolizing search results. ...Oh, a couple more FPI requests: 4) More included output nodes, like ConditionID, PictureURL, etc. This can save time, bandwidth, and quota over making additional lookup calls. 5) Option to have keyword query treated to automatically handle plurals/singulars and other automatic keyword expansion behavior. (BTW, the Merchandising API call getMostWatchedItems is less flexible than FPI - it won't take keywords as a parameter, and it suffers from some of the instability issues evident in the Merchandising API that aren't seen in the Shopping API.) A lot's happened at eBay since 2007 when FPI launched, and this powerfull API call could really benefit from some improvements. Thanks, eBay, for listening!
·
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.