question

wwsm2006 avatar image
0 Likes"
wwsm2006 asked

API Calls Failing Http Post "A certificate is required to complete client authentication"

From early today we have started intermittently seeing our API calls fail with error "A certificate is required to complete client authentication" from a http post

Nothing has changed on our application and tls 1.2 connections are been made.

1 in 4 calls seems to work ok, and no issues with connections to other resources.

Any clues please?

ssl
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

wootton-industries avatar image wootton-industries commented ·

Same problem here also, did you manage to resolve it?

0 Likes 0 ·
wwsm2006 avatar image
0 Likes"
wwsm2006 answered

No still same issue, in fact got worse all calls failing now. I thought this was just me, since Ebay support said no other reports. Feels like it is something to do with SSL and certificates. Since don't believe we are reaching the API

10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

geonik-89 avatar image geonik-89 commented ·
Hello, same with me. None of the calls are working. I am using the Trading API. I thought it is something to do with the EU&UK regulatory changes, but I am not using anything mentioned on those regulation changes, besides I am failing not only in UK, but in USA too. Where did you report the problem, I will report that too?
0 Likes 0 ·
wwsm2006 avatar image
0 Likes"
wwsm2006 answered

I have raised a ticket with Ebay Developer Technical support https://developer.ebay.com/my/support/tickets

I too saw the notification where certain api's will require a digital signature. https://developer.ebay.com/develop/guides/digital-signatures-for-apis

It feels as though something like this has been implemented, but then why not affecting more people, since only a few of us with issues.

10 |600

jonib-52 avatar image jonib-52 commented ·
I have the same issue, started yesterday intermittent, now does not work at all. I checked TLS 1.2 is OK, nothing has changed for 12 months and has worked fine, I have 2 customers that use my API and both have the same problem.

Did you find a solution?

0 Likes 0 ·
wwsm2006 avatar image
0 Likes"
wwsm2006 answered

I am testing this, but I think Ebay have now enforced a client certificate to be supplied when you do the http post etc.. So whatever scripting language you use, the connection needs your local certificate to be sent. I did this just now and finally made a good connection.

10 |600

wootton-industries avatar image wootton-industries commented ·
I have just managed to do 2 succesfull calls and data was succesfully downloaded. Not sure if it was just a glitch?
0 Likes 0 ·
geonik-89 avatar image
0 Likes"
geonik-89 answered

Can you please give a link to the API reference what you are talking about - what are these client certificates? For the last several hours I am reading all these Digital Signature changes, but they don't make sense since they are supposed to be only for EU and UK and for specific calls and at the same time updating a product in USA fails. So give us a clue what exactly you changed and worked for you please!

UPDATE: Yes now it is working without any changes on my side so anyway @wwsm2006 can you tell what you were testing, because I guess soon they will make this live whatever it is.

10 |600

2oolz avatar image
0 Likes"
2oolz answered

@wwsm2006 I'm having same issues but not getting any response with Errors. In fact on first run I get no HTTP.response so it bugs out. Move the set point up to run code again and then it will run. On another PC that runs code Automatically to sync stock is will not work at all and it looks like it stopped working yesterday around 09:30hrs UK time!

I use VBA with XML like below (self taught) where do I get a client certificate and where in my code do I add it?

ReqHTTP.Open "POST", gURL, True
ReqHTTP.setRequestHeader "X-EBAY-API-COMPATIBILITY-LEVEL", Range("Level").Value
ReqHTTP.setRequestHeader "X-EBAY-API-CERT-NAME", Range("certid").Value
ReqHTTP.setRequestHeader "X-EBAY-API-SITEID", Range("siteid").Value
ReqHTTP.setRequestHeader "X-EBAY-API-CALL-NAME", Range("callname").Value

Hope you can help Me?

UPDATE for me to: Randomly started working again without any changes!

It would be good to know what you did though Joe @wwsm2006 ?

10 |600

wootton-industries avatar image
0 Likes"
wootton-industries answered

I have now done 5 or 6 calls and it's now working again (I have not changed or updated any code).

It would not work earlier in the day for me with certificate error message same as wwsm2006 issue.

So not sure if eBay have resolved the issue or if it is an ongoing intermittment issue.

[UK + VBA]

10 |600

wwsm2006 avatar image
0 Likes"
wwsm2006 answered

I think it was a coincidence, Ebay have since emailed to say it has been fixed form their side, so what I saw was a red herring and not needed after all it seems.

i have asked for an explanation as to what was truly wrong. Lost nearly 2 days on this.

10 |600

2oolz avatar image
0 Likes"
2oolz answered

Me to Joe @wwsm2006

Strange there is nothing posted here:https://developer.ebay.com/support/api-status

Lets hope it continues to work!

10 |600

agfashion_de avatar image
0 Likes"
agfashion_de answered

I probably have the same problem. I get the error message:

Runtime error -2147012711 (80072f99)
No credentials are included in the client certificate

Auf Deutsch:
Laufzeitfehler -2147012711 (80072f99)
Im Clientzertifikat sind keine Anmeldeinformationen enthalten

I work with Access (VBA) and use the following code:

Public Function SendHTTPRequest(doc As DOMDocument, ByVal Ebay_devID As String, ByVal Ebay_certID As String, ByVal Ebay_appID As String, ByVal compatLevel As Integer, ByVal siteID As Integer, ByVal verb As String, ByVal serverUrl As String) As DOMDocument

Dim request As ServerXMLHTTP
Set request = New ServerXMLHTTP
With request
.Open "POST", serverUrl, False
.SetRequestHeader "Content-Type", "text/plain"
.SetRequestHeader "X-EBAY-API-COMPATIBILITY-LEVEL", 967
.SetRequestHeader "X-EBAY-API-DEV-NAME", Ebay_devID
.SetRequestHeader "X-EBAY-API-APP-NAME", Ebay_appID
.SetRequestHeader "X-EBAY-API-CERT-NAME", Ebay_certID
.SetRequestHeader "X-EBAY-API-CALL-NAME", verb
.SetRequestHeader "X-EBAY-API-SITEID", siteID
.Send doc
End With

If request.Status = 200 Then
Dim response As DOMDocument
Set response = request.responseXML
Set SendHTTPRequest = response
End If

End Function

The problem started in the last few days. Nothing has worked since today.

10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.