question

alwaysbelisting avatar image
0 Likes"
alwaysbelisting asked

Why can't I use the same tracking number for multiple items using CompleteSaleCall?

I am trying to assign the same tracking number to an item ordered by the same customer. However I get an error as such: Caused by: com.ebay.sdk.ApiException: This tracking number has already been used and cannot be used for multiple transactions. However the item has been marked as shipped. at com.ebay.sdk.ApiCall.getApiException(Unknown Source) at com.ebay.sdk.ApiCall.executeByApiName(Unknown Source) at com.ebay.sdk.ApiCall.execute(Unknown Source) at com.ebay.sdk.call.CompleteSaleCall.completeSale(CompleteSaleCall.java:206) Here is my block of code: CompleteSaleCall csc = new CompleteSaleCall(apiContext); ShipmentType shipType = new ShipmentType(); ShipmentTrackingDetailsType shpmnt = new ShipmentTrackingDetailsType(); shpmnt.setShipmentTrackingNumber(tracking); shpmnt.setShippingCarrierUsed("USPS"); shipType.setShipmentTrackingDetails(new ShipmentTrackingDetailsType[]{shpmnt}); csc.setShipment(shipType); csc.setShipped(true); csc.setItemID(item_id); csc.setTransactionID(transaction_id); csc.completeSale(); Suppose I wanted to assign the same tracking ID to two different items from the same seller, I would call the completeSale twice, but I receive an error. How would I set the same tracking ID to two Orders? Or a combination of Orders and single line items? Or just two single items? All of the products belong to the same buyer.
tracking-numberscompletesalecall
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com avatar image
0 Likes"
zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com answered
Hi alwaysbelisting, You will need to create a multiple line item order ( or combined Payment order) which can be done via [AddOrder][1] or [SendInvoice][2] API call. Thanks. -Zhuowei [1]: http://developer.ebay.com/devzone/xml/docs/Reference/eBay/AddOrder.html [2]: http://developer.ebay.com/devzone/xml/docs/Reference/eBay/SendInvoice.html

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

zhuowei, AddOrder does not work for items that are sold and paid! I would expect that SendInvoice would throw an error because both items are paid for as well, but I have not tried it as I don't want to send an invoice to the buyer anyway. Let me reiterate my issue: 2 orders/items were purchased separately by the same buyer. Both items have yet to be shipped, and are going to the same address. So I would print one label, for these items, with one tracking number through a different service. Now I want to update both of these orders/items with the same tracking number via API.
0 Likes 0 ·
alwaysbelisting avatar image
0 Likes"
alwaysbelisting answered
zhuowei, AddOrder does not work for items that are sold and paid! I would expect that SendInvoice would throw an error because both items are paid for as well, but I have not tried it as I don't want to send an invoice to the buyer anyway. Let me reiterate my issue: 2 orders/items were purchased separately by the same buyer. Both items have yet to be shipped, and are going to the same address. So I would print one label for these items, with one tracking number through a different service. Now I want to update both of these orders/items with the same tracking number via API. It can be done manually, why can't it be done via API? Maybe this is a bug?

zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com avatar image
0 Likes"
zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com answered
Hi alwaysbelisting, Sorry for taking so long. As you have observed, AddOrder or SendInvoice API only works for unpaid transactions. Unfortunately, using same tracking number for two separate single transactions are not supported. Best Regards,

djsimonsez2003 avatar image
0 Likes"
djsimonsez2003 answered
this is ridiculous. This never used to be a problem. I even sent a buyer a combined invoice with shipping discount, which he ignored and still paid the invoice's separately. Now i'm going to get a nick on my seller status for not uploading tracking for the 2nd item he purchased. This is not cool at all

dynamicsailor avatar image
0 Likes"
dynamicsailor answered
Yea, something has changed in the eBay API because I have done this without problems up until recently. Just tonight was the first time I was getting the error: The error was: 21919089: Tracking number already used. - This tracking number has already been used and cannot be used for multiple transactions. However the item has been marked as shipped I am not sure what changed but it should be changed back asap.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.