question

stepw1 avatar image
0 Likes"
stepw1 asked

Finding API hitting rate limit unexpectedly,Finding API running into seemingly rate limits

Hi all,

I'm having issues with the Finding API. I'm using the findItemsAdvanced service to update the prices for a couple of hundred products in a spreadsheet every day. I can see from the documentation that the rate limit for the Finding API is 5,000 calls per day, but somehow yesterday morning I started getting a

Service call has exceeded the number of times the operation is allowed to be called

error (full error response below).

This was odd because that day I had only made a few hundred calls before getting the error, far less than the 5,000 limit. Anyway, I thought nothing more of it and decided to wait another day.

Today, I tried making requests to the API again, and once again I got that error message, though only intermittently. Some of my calls succeed and some of them fail with the rate limiting error.

I'm struggling to understand why it seems to be working so inconsistently when I am beyond certain I am far below the 5,000 calls limit per day. Would anyone be able to help?

Full error response JSON below:

{
    "errorMessage": [
        {
            "error": [
                {
                    "errorId": [
                        "10001"
                    ],
                    "domain": [
                        "Security"
                    ],
                    "severity": [
                        "Error"
                    ],
                    "category": [
                        "System"
                    ],
                    "message": [
                        "Service call has exceeded the number of times the operation is allowed to be called"
                    ],
                    "subdomain": [
                        "RateLimiter"
                    ],
                    "parameter": [
                        {
                            "@name": "Param1",
                            "__value__": "findItemsAdvanced"
                        },
                        {
                            "@name": "Param2",
                            "__value__": "FindingService"
                        }
                    ]
                }
            ]
        }
    ]
}
finding-apifinditemsadvancedfindingapirate limitratelimit
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

·
foulfoot avatar image
0 Likes"
foulfoot answered

It may be just a temporary error, or it may be permanent.

Internally (eBay hasn't posted this anywhere), the Finding API is deprecated. It has not received any updates in several years. The replacement is the Browse API. At some point in the future, eBay will shut down the Finding API completely, and if past history is any guide, they will give very little warning when they do so.

Once I migrated my application to the Browse API, I began getting pestered by eBay Devs on letting them know when my migration was complete, so they could lower my access limits to the Finding API. They may have already decided to lower the limits of "free" accounts in order to encourage moving to the Browse API.

Foul

10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks for the answer!

Do you know if the Browse API provides the same functionality with the same or lower restrictions as the Finding API? I'm currently using the Finding API to browse through products in a category with a keyword search using custom filters. I'm not persisting any user data. Is that something that can be fully migrated to the Browse API without any restrictions?
0 Likes 0 ·
Mostly, it does. Several features are restricted (for instance, the replacement for getMultipleItems is getItems, and you need special permission for it). For just searching a single category with keyword(s) you should be fine.
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.