question

lostmountainmarket avatar image
0 Likes"
lostmountainmarket asked

Understanding Difference Between LISTING_VIEWS_TOTAL from getTrafficReport and Item Views on Item Details Page

I am trying to understand the difference in the number of views on an items page and the LISTING_VIEWS_TOTAL that is reported by getTrafficReport in the Analytics API.

On the item page it reports ~200 views. The traffic report says there have been 21 views when using the LISTING_VIEWS_TOTAL metric and a date range for the entire life of the listing.

I have tried most of the metrics and can not find any that report even close to the view count on the item page/seller's hub.

What am I missing? What metrics should I use to approximate the view count in the seller's hub?

I am trying to understand the number of views on an items page and the LISTING_VIEWS_TOTAL that is reported by getTrafficReport in the Analytics API.

On the item page it reports ~200 views. The traffic report says there have been 21 views when using the LISTING_VIEWS_TOTAL metric and a date range for the entire life of the listing.

I have tried most of the metrics and can not find any that report even close to the view count on the item page/seller's hub.

What am I missing? What metrics should I use to approximate the view count in the seller's hub?

gettrafficreportanalytic apianalyticsanalytics apiviews
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

morielhezi avatar image
0 Likes"
morielhezi answered

I am with you on that- facing the same mismatch between the LISTING_VIEWS_TOTAL vs. the views counter.

Did you get anywhere? Any hint why is that happening? and if there is a way to get somehow the correct Views counter over the Analytics API?

10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

0 Likes"
lostmountainmarket answered

Unfortunately, I have not really figured out what I should be doing here. Every listing I checked seems to have this discrepancy between the Analytics API views and the sellers hub with the sellers hub views being much higher. The LISTING_VIEWS_TOTAL is the sum of the different LISTING_VIEWS subcategories, it just does not remotely match the sellers hub. I am not sure what the difference is between the two perhaps there is another view category that we do not have access to via the api? Was hoping someone here knew...

10 |600

flexf-98 avatar image
0 Likes"
flexf-98 answered

Can LISTING_VIEWS use to see other seller items LISTING_VIEWS ?

10 |600

morielhezi avatar image
0 Likes"
morielhezi answered

I do not understand eBay. In 10 days they plan to deprecate some functionality (HitCounter on the Trading API). In the announcement message they sent to developers they suggest that the Analytics API could provide similar information- but then it turns out this is totally wrong....

flexf-98 : In the GetTraffic API you can either provide listing ids dimension or only time range. In the former case you get the LISTING VIEWS only for the explicitly listed IDs while in the latter case for any listing (up to 200) of your seller account.

10 |600

1 Like"
lostmountainmarket answered

Hey morielhezi, I think I figured out the issue. I was reading an article on the seller updates and ran across one where they described a change in how eBay count views in the latest seller's update. Apparently, the view count in the seller's hub includes automated traffic (bots, etc). I believe that the Analytics API view counts uses a new method which (at least tries) to only account for human traffic. Not sure if there is a way to get views from automated traffic (or if that is even useful), but that would be a likely explanation for the discrepancy.

10 |600

morielhezi avatar image
0 Likes"
morielhezi answered

Thank you.

That could be, but based on the diffs I see, I think something else is happening- maybe, for some reason, the Analytics service at eBay is restarted often and thus starts the counting from zero.The Views count on the listing still shows the correct value.

I hope someone from eBay reads that and they shall delay the upcoming deprecation of the HitCount (currently planned for 4/30/2022)...

10 |600

batpoa-0 avatar image
0 Likes"
batpoa-0 answered

Thanks for the info, lostmountainmarket.

I've had a support thread going for several days, comparing HitCount (https://developer.ebay.com/devzone/xml/docs/reference/ebay/getitem.html) and getTrafficReport / LISTING_VIEWS_TOTAL in the Analytics API. I got this response:

> We checked with the product team and we got an update from them as both the API calls work on different systems/logic.

> We recommended you to use the getTrafficReport call as it is more accurate.

10 |600

morielhezi avatar image
0 Likes"
morielhezi answered

Hi and thanks. From my experience and testing it is the other way around- the HitCounter (which matches the currently supported Views counter on the item's page) is indeed the correct views counter (maybe with the exception when the seller herself gets to revise the item and this increments the counter, sometimes by 2). The Analytics LISTING_VIEWS_TOTAL seems to provide a lower value than actual views.

10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.