question

dado3825 avatar image
0 Likes"
dado3825 asked

Error 21916281 | Ebay Trading API | Approved electronic payment method is missing...

Hi everyone,

Could someone pls help me?

I'm sending the XML codes below to Ebay's Sandbox environment but is receiving the Error 21916281 "Approved electronic payment method is missing" (Strangely, when I send the same codes to Ebay's Production environment, Error 21916281 doesn't happen (I still get some other errors related to my account because I hadn't opened a Seller Account yet though) and also very strangely, I think that Ebay no longer allow Paypal payment method but one of the message of the error still says: "To list this item, you need to accept PayPal or other approved electronic payments as a payment method.") :

Maybe this only happens for the Sandbox side because Sandbox is not as updated as the Production side?

```

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<AddItemRequest xmlns="urn:ebay:apis:eBLBaseComponents">

<RequesterCredentials>

<eBayAuthToken>TOKEN</eBayAuthToken>

</RequesterCredentials>

<ErrorLanguage>en_US</ErrorLanguage>

<WarningLevel>High</WarningLevel>

<Item>

<Title>Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone</Title>

<Description>

This is the first book in the Harry Potter series. In excellent condition!

</Description>

<PrimaryCategory>

<CategoryID>29223</CategoryID>

</PrimaryCategory>

<StartPrice>1.0</StartPrice>

<CategoryMappingAllowed>true</CategoryMappingAllowed>

<Country>US</Country>

<Currency>USD</Currency>

<PaymentMethods>CreditCard</PaymentMethods>

<DispatchTimeMax>3</DispatchTimeMax>

<ListingDuration>Days_7</ListingDuration>

<ListingType>Chinese</ListingType>

<PictureDetails>

<PictureURL>https://mysamplepicture.com/14.jpg</PictureURL>;

</PictureDetails>

<PostalCode>95125</PostalCode>

<Quantity>1</Quantity>

<ItemSpecifics>

<NameValueList>

<Name>Title</Name>

<Value>Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone</Value>

</NameValueList>

<NameValueList>

<Name>Publisher</Name>

<Value>Smashwords</Value>

</NameValueList>

<NameValueList>

<Name>Author</Name>

<Value>JK Rowling</Value>

</NameValueList>

<NameValueList>

<Name>Language</Name>

<Value>English</Value>

</NameValueList>

</ItemSpecifics>

<ReturnPolicy>

<ReturnsAcceptedOption>ReturnsAccepted</ReturnsAcceptedOption>

<RefundOption>MoneyBack</RefundOption>

<ReturnsWithinOption>Days_30</ReturnsWithinOption>

<ShippingCostPaidByOption>Buyer</ShippingCostPaidByOption>

</ReturnPolicy>

<ShippingDetails>

<ShippingType>Flat</ShippingType>

<ShippingServiceOptions>

<ShippingServicePriority>1</ShippingServicePriority>

<ShippingService>USPSMedia</ShippingService>

<ShippingServiceCost>2.50</ShippingServiceCost>

</ShippingServiceOptions>

</ShippingDetails>

<Site>US</Site>

</Item>

</AddItemRequest>

```

I had included <PaymentMethods>CreditCard</PaymentMethods> in the XML code, but I still got the error above. I'm very confused. I also got the same error above when I don't include <PaymentMethods>CreditCard</PaymentMethods> in it...

Also, based on this documentation https://developer.ebay.com/devzone/xml/docs/reference/ebay/additem.html of Item.PaymentMethods: "Sellers no longer have to specify any electronic payment methods for listings, so one or more PaymentMethods fields will only be needed for listings that require/support payments off of eBay's platform.", I don't know what else can I do to not get the Error 21916281 above....

I also had visited all other post on our forum about Error 21916281 and on the Internet but couldn't find any answer....

Could someone pls help me and point out how I can fix my XML code and void Error 21916281? Maybe someone from Ebay itself? Pls?....

The full error is as below:

```

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<AddItemResponse

xmlns="urn:ebay:apis:eBLBaseComponents">

<Timestamp>2022-03-15T13:08:04.836Z</Timestamp>

<Ack>Failure</Ack>

<Errors>

<ShortMessage>Approved electronic payment method is missing</ShortMessage>

<LongMessage>To list this item, you need to accept PayPal or other approved electronic payments as a payment method.</LongMessage>

<ErrorCode>21916281</ErrorCode>

<SeverityCode>Error</SeverityCode>

<ErrorClassification>RequestError</ErrorClassification>

</Errors>

<Version>1247</Version>

<Build>E1247_UNI_API5_19110890_R1</Build>

</AddItemResponse>

```

Thank you.

trading apierrorxml responseerror 21916281
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brpar_6985 avatar image
0 Likes"
brpar_6985 answered

I'm having the same issue, and the only way to contact ebay for support is by purchasing pre-paid support hours, except the link to purchase them doesn't work. Been trying for over a month to solve this, so far nothing and google is of no help either. Extremely frustrating and holding up our entire business.

10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

brpar_6985 avatar image
0 Likes"
brpar_6985 answered

Finally got the premium support to work just long enough to ask them this question.

They said to specify the payment method like this:

1. <PaymentMethods>PayPal</PaymentMethods>
  2. <PayPalEmailAddress>Your_PayPal_Emailaddress</PayPalEmailAddress>

Even though the docs explicitly tell you not to do that, and that it will fail, unless you're handling *offline* payments outside of ebay... still waiting on their explanation as to why this goes against the docs.

10 |600

brpar_6985 avatar image
0 Likes"
brpar_6985 answered

I just heard back from the premium support and they opened a ticket with the developers to fix this issue and it looks like it has finally been resolved. No payment method should now be needed for calls to AddItem, at least as long as you are enrolled in "ebay payments", which is supposed to be the default for everyone now (my account somehow wasn't, but there was still another bug causing the issue even after they fixed the enrollment that is now solved).

10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.