question

foulfoot avatar image
0 Likes"
foulfoot asked

Fuzzy searches suddenly implemented?

A few days ago, my app completely blew up with tons of false positives returned from the API. After quite a bit of trial and error, I discovered that somebody at eBay switched on a "fuzzy searching" algorithm that affects both the Shopping and Browse API when using certain keywords. One of those keywords is "paperback" -- when my keyword search is specifically looking for "paperback" in the title of an item, the API will return anything that matches the other keywords I'm using, and anything it thinks is a paperback, even if the word "paperback" is *not* anywhere in the title or description of the item.

There are other keywords that do something similar, but I haven't narrowed them down yet.

It's obvious why the dev team decided to do this, but it is NOT in the spirit of the API, where we're trusting it to return only items that we're specifying. Having to manually filter these "suggested" items is time-consuming and annoying. Please consider reverting this "feature".

Foul

ebay-search-api
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Two more "fuzzy" keywords: "set", "original"
0 Likes 0 ·

0 Answers

·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.