question

akub-66 avatar image
0 Likes"
akub-66 asked

getTrafficReport LISTING_IMPRESSION_TOTAL is wrong

Hi, The Impressions obtained by the getTrafficReport API is different from that displayed in the background.

Background URL: https://www.ebay.com/sh/performance/traffic?filter=changed_date%3AendDate%2Cdate_range%3A%5B2021-10-30..2021-10-30%5D&limit=200&listingType=sold_listings

API URL: https://api.ebay.com/sell/analytics/v1/traffic_report?dimension=LISTING&metric=LISTING_IMPRESSION_SEARCH_RESULTS_PAGE%2CLISTING_IMPRESSION_STORE%2CLISTING_IMPRESSION_TOTAL&filter=marketplace_ids%3A%7BEBAY_US%7D%2Cdate_range%3A%5B20211030..20211030%5D%2Clisting_ids%3A%7B152398166914%7D

rlogid: t6pitusquq%60%3F%3Ctofukqwvspse*afuqe%28rbpv6770-17ce9e6c478-0x134

The LISTING_IMPRESSION_TOTAL is 386, but the impression displayed in the background is 6606. Why is there such a big difference?

Thanks.

gettrafficreport
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

a2hgo avatar image
0 Likes"
a2hgo answered

OK my hunch was correct, the LISTING_IMPRESSIONS_TOTAL value being returned by the getTrafficReport API doesn't include "non-search impressions".

I took a random date in April last year, the Seller Hub shows 1008 impressions, the API returns 499. The Seller Hub shows 509 non search impressions (499 + 509 = 1008).

Arguably having an incomplete dataset is worse than not having the data at all, which makes this API pretty useless. Non search impressions in my experience make up around half of the total listing impressions.

Perhaps check back again in the future if eBay ever add a theoretical LISTING_IMPRESSIONS_NON_SEARCH metric in order to complete the dataset.

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 13.26.41.png

10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you for your reply. The LISTING_IMPRESSIONS_TOTAL of the store dimension does not include "non-search impressions". I don't know if the LISTING_IMPRESSIONS_TOTAL of the Listing dimension does not include it too. The indicators returned by the api are not complete and cannot be calculated.

0 Likes 0 ·
a2hgo avatar image
0 Likes"
a2hgo answered

I'm noticing the same thing, did you ever get to the bottom of it?

See link below for example image where the Seller Hub is displaying 924 impressions for 24/05/2021 versus a LISTING_IMPRESSION_TOTAL value of 590 returned by the getTrafficReport for the same date.

https://ibb.co/Sy1WRFP

I'm seeing the same discrepancies for nearly all days except the odd one or two, it's like the Seller Hub is including some extra impressions which aren't included in the getTrafficReport response, which renders the API pointless if the data is not accurate.

I also noticed that when you specify dimension=LISTING, the response contains extra listings for the same date range versus the Seller Hub.

I'm also seeing minus values being returned for some of the fields like LISTING_VIEWS_SOURCE_OFF_EBAY for some dates, the whole API seems garbage.

10 |600

a2hgo avatar image
0 Likes"
a2hgo answered

Out of interest, does your response contain any warnings? I noticed my response contains a warning.

The Metric LISTING_VIEWS_SOURCE_DIRECT does not have data available for the requested date range

I think this is because my search date range is more than 90 days in the past and I noted the documentation states:

LISTING_VIEWS_SOURCE_DIRECT will only support a 90-day query range from October 4, 2021 until early January 2022, at which time it will again support a two year query range.

It could be that the values relating to this key are still missing for date ranges older than 90 days and they're the difference between the total impressions returned on the API and the total impressions displayed in the Seller Hub. Unfortunately I don't have any listings within the past 90 days on my account in order to verify this.

The note says that the API should be returning these values again from "early Jan" however, can anyone from Ebay confirm when this will actually be the case as it looks as though they're still being omitted?

10 |600

alievs-63 avatar image
0 Likes"
alievs-63 answered

Thanks for sharing this really information.

10 |600

alievs-63 avatar image
0 Likes"
alievs-63 answered

Thanks for sharing this really information.

10 |600

a2hgo avatar image
0 Likes"
a2hgo answered

I created a test listing yesterday, viewed it a bunch of times and checked the stats today. The Seller Hub is showing 10 impressions and the API is returning 8 (see screenshot).

Screenshot 2022-01-28 at 11.34.20.png

So I don't think the discrepancy in total impressions between the Seller Hub UI and the Analytics API is related to the LISTING_VIEWS_SOURCE_DIRECT values being missing for views older than 90 days. Which makes sense since this issue is with the impression count, not view count.

Can anyone from @developer-support@ebay.com please explain the reason for the discrepancies in the total impressions?

cc @eram_developersupport @sagar_developersupport

10 |600

a2hgo avatar image
0 Likes"
a2hgo answered

Another quirk? of the API to be aware of if you're using this is that dates older than 218 days don't return values for LISTING_VIEWS_SOURCE_DIRECT. Not sure what the significance of dates prior to this are.

Also, specifying 7th or 8th of November 2021 as the date range returns values for both 7th and 8th (i.e two days instead of one).

https://api.ebay.com/sell/analytics/v1/traffic_report?filter=marketplace_ids:%7BEBAY_GB%7D,date_range:%5B20211107..20211107%5D&dimension=DAY&metric=

https://api.ebay.com/sell/analytics/v1/traffic_report?filter=marketplace_ids:%7BEBAY_GB%7D,date_range:%5B20211108..20211108%5D&dimension=DAY&metric=

Specifying date ranges from 8th November 2021, onwards you have to add a day, for example specifying a date range of yesterday (27th Jan), returns results for 26th Jan, so you have to instead request data for the 28th if you want 27th.

https://api.ebay.com/sell/analytics/v1/traffic_report?filter=marketplace_ids:%7BEBAY_GB%7D,date_range:%5B20220128..20220128%5D&dimension=DAY&metric=

Also not sure what the significance of the 8th November 2021 and why the ranges are a day out following this date.

10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.