question

anddav5625 avatar image
1 Like"
anddav5625 asked

Receiving 1000s of eBay Marketplace Account Deletion/Closure Notifications

Hi since registering an eBay Marketplace Account Deletion Endpoint we have received 1000s of requests. Should we only be receiving requests for users that have purchased from us previously? Why are we expected to process requests for users that we have no record for?

marketplace account deletion notification endpoint
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

54patman avatar image
0 Likes"
54patman answered

As far as I can tell this is normal behavior. This is what I'm also getting, every user from around the world who requested a delete I get the notification. Waste of traffic and resoruces.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

po906188 avatar image
0 Likes"
po906188 answered

any idea why is this the normal behavior??

why wouldn't they just send us notifications about the relevant users?
also that means that we will have to do about 1000 db searches and actions per day for basically nothing

swappart avatar image
0 Likes"
swappart answered

This is normal behavior. Every developer get every deletion notification. I think it's probably because eBay doesn't retain authorizations data indefinitely. So, say you authorized some app to access your account years ago, and that permission has long since expired, eBay probably no longer has that info but the developer may still have your data in their database. The only way eBay can ensure all active developers who have your data get notified is to send every notifications to each developers. It's just my theory, but it seems plausible.

jimiscott345 avatar image
0 Likes"
jimiscott345 answered

As an open ended question to eBay, how is this actually desirable? Perhaps my purview is limited to simply order processing, but how does benefit the user requesting the deletion? I mean we're now getting a valid usernames which we could then attempt to use at other sites (Insta, other marketplaces, etc).

I would have expected (like others) we get a filtered list of notifications specific to the transactions (the seller participated).

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.