question

geonik-89 avatar image
0 Likes"
geonik-89 asked

Marketplace Account Deletion/Closure Notification Impossible

Hi all. In the last few days I am struggling with this validation and I really don't get what is going on.

This is my end point https://dancecheerskate.com:4444/webhook it is supposed to be listening to any requests and log them. I have tested using Postman and just Firefox to make requests similar to what eBay is supposed to send. I also checked using https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/sha256.html that the hash I generate is the same which this tool generates, so probably the hash is OK. When I fill my endpoint and verification code and then hit Save I immediately receive the error message which some other people here say they receive, i.e "Marketplace account deletion endpoint validation failed". According to the documentation after hitting save eBay will send the challenge_code request and will expect the proper answer. Well if that is true, then why I don't receive any request from eBay?

What I noticed however is the following - if I mistype my endpoint and put something wrong, after hitting save it takes a considerable time before I receive the error message. But when I type my endpoint correctly then I receive the message immediately.

So is there a chance that eBay makes something even before sending the challenge request and rejects me? Is there a chance that somehow I am blocking eBay to reach my endpoint - I doubt I am doing this in any way because trying to reach that endpoint from three different IP's results in receiving a response which I believe follows the requirements by eBay.

I am using Delphi Berlin and Indy to create the application which is going to service the request by eBay. I have my own Windows desktop applications which connect to the eBay API's for more than 8 years without any problems.

So is there anybody who can give me a clue what is wrong here?

marketplace account deletion notification endpoint
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
swappart avatar image
0 Likes"
swappart answered

I'm not familiar with Delphi Berlin and Indy, and you also haven't posted any code, but I was also having similar issues using PHP. I finally figured out that eBay is not sending a test notification at the same time as the endpoint validation. So, for me the solution was to handle those two events separately. What I do is check for the presence of challenge_code being passed in the Get request, and HTTP_X_EBAY_SIGNATURE being passed in the JSON message. There will never be both. If I get the challenge_code, I proceed to validate the endpoint and return the challenge_response. If I have the HTTP_X_EBAY_SIGNATURE, I process the notification and respond with 200_OK. Trying to validate the endpoint and respond to a notification (which doesn't exist) at the same time will result in the validation failing. I don't know if that's even your issue, but it seems to be a common one because eBay's documentation is very confusing. I have working PHP code at the below link. Maybe you can look at it and compare how I did it to what you are doing in Delphi Berlin.

https://forums.developer.ebay.com/questions/43122/working-code-marketplace-account-deletion-notifica.html

10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thanks for the answer. Yes I checked your post before creating this question. I also make validation if the challenge_code exists at all or not. The problem is I never receive any request from eBay. At the moment I have stopped this server so if anybody tries to connect nothing will happen, but when trying to validate the server was working. I am not sure if the certificate is a problem or the open ssl libraries I am using, but I can't explain why I don't receive any request. That makes me think they check somehow something but I don't have any idea what.
0 Likes 0 ·

I had a few times where it seemed eBay wasn't sending anything as well. I was logging any incoming requests and there weren't any. I was using 123456789123456789123456789123456789 as a verification token, just for testing. I think they don't like consecutive strings of numbers like that. I changed it to a random hexadecimal format and suddenly started getting requests. Also, have you tried it without the port?

0 Likes 0 ·
Yes, I thought that the port could be the problem, so I tried without the port too, but the result was the same - nothing. I use a guid for the verification code, so that shouldn't be a problem I think. For now I opted out of receiving these notifications, my desktop applications have two clients where we are doing almost the same things and if they stop using eBay, obviously I will stop using eBay too, hopefully that will not lead to any "penalties" as stated.
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.