question

doublefelix921 avatar image
0 Likes"
doublefelix921 asked

findItemsAdvanced in finding API: Why doesn't it return aspectHistogramContainer ?

I am using the eBay API to find currently listed items and need access to their category-specific features. The category is 'CCG Individual Cards' with category ID 183454. My api request is

api_request = { 
    'keywords': 'pokemon cgc', 
    'categoryId': ['183454'],
    'paginationInput': {
            'entriesPerPage': 100,
            'pageNumber': 1
    },
    'outputSelector': ['AspectHistogram',]
    }

but there is no aspectHistogramContainer in the output (not even null, it is just not there).

I'm a bit lost and would need this to be able to proceed. Thanks so much for the help!

In case it is of any help, here is a codepile with the full input and output code:

https://www.codepile.net/pile/5zK434LJ

EDIT:

-Changing the single ' to double " quotes and removing the comma after AspectHistogram doesn't change the response

-There is another similar question here suggesting that this feature might be broken. Could that be? It seems to be one of the basic features of findItemsAdvanced.

findingfinditemsadvanced-finding
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
1 Like"
clickimusprime answered

Yes, as I said, it works fine.

http://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?OPERATION-NAME=findItemsAdvanced&SERVICE-VERSION=1.0.0&GLOBAL-ID=EBAY-US&SECURITY-APPNAME=[APPID]&RESPONSE-DATA-FORMAT=XML&REST-PAYLOAD=true&keywords=pokemon%20cgc&categoryId(0)=183454&outputSelector(0)=AspectHistogram

So you have an error somewhere. Validate your JSON. I recommend using cURL or direct GET/POST requests using the URL format. SDKs can be out of date or can suppress parameters they don't support.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Thank you so much, it worked - I read through the response rather than parsing it first and found my aspectHistogramContainer. The issue was that I was only looking within <item>. Is there a way to see properties of individual items, rather than just a histogram of item properties throughout the whole search? That is what my use case would require.
0 Likes 0 ·
Just for the sake of other users: The functionality I was looking for seems not to exist. It seems the best way to get details about the item like aspect values and the description is to use getMultipleItems after doing findItemsAdvanced. This comes out to 6 API calls per 100 items searched.
0 Likes 0 ·
clickimusprime avatar image
1 Like"
clickimusprime answered

normal url request returns it fine. Try removing that trailing comma in the outputSelector list. Using single quotes instead of double quotes may also be causing issues.

This didn't work unfortunately. I changed both and output still has no aspectHistogramContainer.
0 Likes 0 ·
Are you able to return an aspectHistogramContainer when using findItemsAdvanced on your machine?
0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.