question

1singularsensation avatar image
0 Likes"
1singularsensation asked ·

Ebay and Excel Search Listings - HELP

Hi Everyone, I'm REALLY new. I've worked with Excel for years but not at this level. I've been searching but didn't find too many posts on Excel and Ebay.

Here's what I'm trying to figure out what I needed to do VBA-wise but kept running into the Ebay linking question.  Here's the concept.

I have about 350 to about 2000 rows of  6 keyword columns. I  need the keywords to meet a certain listing minimum, like 75 listings each. Any keywords that don't meet the minimum need to be tossed out.

Is there a way to use these excel keywords to search ebay and then return the number of listings in Excel? Am I asking too much?

I am reacquainting myself with VBA but the Ebay part of this is a whole new ball game and I'm not that familiar with it at all.

Please help.

Dianne

ebaysearch-listingsmicrosoft-excel
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·

I'm not sure how you'd go about getting Excel to pull data from eBay and process it. I have a feeling that it could be done by a pro, but not sure how you'd go about it. In VBA, can you have Excel query a URL and retrieve the response, then process/parse it? If so, you should theoretically be able to do this.

Here's a basic eBay URL format to search for a keyword:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=face%20jug

(Notice the URL encoding "%20" which is used for a space.)

But that's a simple example for a manual review of live eBay data. Getting that URL to appear in an Excel cell is trivial, and clicking on it will show search results, including a count. (Get an intern to review those 2000 rows manually?)

You'll want to use a Finding API call here to pull data in a format (XML) that can likely be processed by Excell somehow.

Come to think of it, if you can get Excel to process XML, it would probably be a faster learning curve to just use eBay's RSS feeds instead of the API. But I'm not sure if they're still supported, and how many items you can pull. But here's a format I've seen work for RSS:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/rss/?_nkw=face%20jug&_rss=1

Maybe that helps get you started on this... Most folks around here would do some kind of desktop or web server programming and write a script to get done what you need. You could probably save some time by paying someone on ScriptLance or Odesk to do it for you, outputting to a .csv file or something that you can import into Excel.

-h

10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.