question

schmidtheim avatar image
0 Likes"
schmidtheim asked

Should I subscribe to eBay Marketplace Account Deletion/Closure Notifications?

I got a message from eBay to ask all developers to take actions to subsribe to marketplace account deletion/closure notifications. My application is just using Shopping APIs and Finding APIs. Should I do that?

The message said, All developers registered to the eBay Developer’s Program are required to be compliant by Aug 31st 2021. Failure to do so, might result in termination of your access to the Developer Tools, and/or reduced access to all or some APIs.

If I don't do that, may I access to some like Shopping APIs and Finding APIs?

platform notifications
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

sanjiv_developersupport avatar image
0 Likes"
sanjiv_developersupport answered

Hi @schmidtheim,

For now this is for all the developers who has active keysets and to assist third-party developers in deleting customer data, eBay has created a push notification system that will notify all eBay Developers Program applications when an eBay user has requested that their personal data be deleted and their account closed. Reference document will discuss what third-party developers will need to do to receive, respond to, and validate these eBay marketplace account deletion/closure notifications.

Ref: https://developer.ebay.com/marketplace-account-deletion

Note: Some developers might not be storing any data from eBay for various reasons. For such developers, we will working on a way to apply for exception via the Developer portal. More details about this will be added soon.

Best Regards,
eBay Developers Support

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

My application does not access, use or store eBay user account data at all.
Does it mean we don't need to make changes for our application code?

Does the exception you mentioned still need to make code changes for our application?

0 Likes 0 ·

When trying to register to use Account Deletion/Closure Notifications the eBay system requires a URL for the notification - I use desktop and do not use a website for eBay so there is no URL to provide - how will desktop programs be expected to deal with Account Deletion/Closure Notifications?

Thank you

0 Likes 0 ·

The information says == Before subscribing to and receiving eBay marketplace account deletion/closure notifications, developers will have to prepare their endpoint URLs to receive a challenge code from eBay, and then use this challenge code to validate the legitimacy of the endpoint URL. eBay needs to verify that the developer owns/has access to the provided endpoint URL, and that the developer will be receiving and processing all of the eBay marketplace account deletion/closure notifications. . ==

Working on a Desktop program how will the endpoint URL access the program on a desktop?

0 Likes 0 ·

How soon is soon? The reply from eBay was Apr 06 2021 at 11:34 AM

Where will More details about this will be added ?

0 Likes 0 ·
schmidtheim avatar image
0 Likes"
schmidtheim answered

Thanks. I noticed the FAQ section as follow.

Are developers required to subscribe to eBay marketplace account deletion/closure notifications?

Yes. Every eBay Developers Program application that is making API calls that use/store eBay user data must be subscribed to eBay marketplace account deletion/closure notifications. It is the responsibility of each developer to remove all user data associated with the eBay user specified in the eBay marketplace account deletion/closure notification.

My application is just for buying. It does not use/store eBay user data. I guess that it is not required for me to subscribe to such notifications.

franvonr-95 avatar image
0 Likes"
franvonr-95 answered

Are developers required to subscribe to eBay marketplace account deletion/closure notifications? Yes. Every eBay Developers Program application that is making API TellSubway calls that use/store eBay user data must be subscribed to eBay marketplace account deletion/closure notifications.

davidmills02 avatar image
0 Likes"
davidmills02 answered
 https://<callback_URL>?challenge_code=123

eBay Developers Support = Please advise how you deal with this on a desktop application that does not use a website.

callback_URL is presumably my website URL if I was using a website for the API program to collect data from eBay?

Please clarify - thank you

mirkoslav avatar image
0 Likes"
mirkoslav answered

I need help here, as it's now a month and a half after "added soon" and nothing yet, or I can't find it. I do download buyer's information in order to print shipping labels and update tracking number etc. I do not use received info for anything else but to simply process the order from buyer. And even those who do this fully manually will have data on their PCs, in Word or in mail client etc. Should they comply too? So all sellers. What's the difference here? Only if done manually or by API, how does this make any difference? Why would I now need to pay for server and a developer who will only assure acknowledgment is sent back to eBay and that's it. Everybody happy and eBay can say we did what we could do, hands washed... Right? We never ever used personal info from buyer for anything else. I understand some logic and form that needs to be fulfilled, because of certain laws, but why is then made so technically problematic for all small developers? Why no second channel which would function like everything else through APIs. You call provided API on a weekly basis and receive list of all new users who requested account deletion and you confirm receipt for each and everyone in separate API call and they are flagged for you on the server. Next time you receive only unflagged/new. And so on. No need for special Endpoint server to receive messages just to send back "OK". On eBay side tracking of who received/confirmed notifications is needed anyway, so I don't see huge overhead of resources for this second channel. And thousands of us small developers who created local App based on Excel or Access or whatever can continue to use it without need to purchase server and developer...

Possible?

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.