question

tapdevelop avatar image
2 Likes"
tapdevelop asked

Browse API retrieving startTime and endTime

The fields startTime and endTime are available in the Finding API. How can they be accessed with the Browse API?

Where can an API change request be placed if startTime and endTime aren't available in the current version of the Browse API?

starttimeendtime
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

sagar_developersupport avatar image
0 Likes"
sagar_developersupport answered

Hi @tapdevelop ,

You can use the item_summary/search call of Browse API for your use case.

Ref: https://developer.ebay.com/api-docs/buy/browse/resources/item_summary/methods/search

Search call support many filters including the itemEndDate and itemStartDate.

To see all of the supported filters of the call, please go through the link given below:

Ref: https://developer.ebay.com/api-docs/buy/static/ref-buy-browse-filters.html#itemEndDate

Best regards ,
eBay Developer Support

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

tapdevelop avatar image
0 Likes"
tapdevelop answered

Thanks @sagar_developersupport for the answer.

Have you been able to retrieve startDate and endDate via /buy/browse/v1/item_summary/search? As far as I've seen filtering does work but not retrieving.

Use cases:

- Present a list of items to the user which he can sort according to various criteria like for example start time and end time.

- Maintain a list of items by adding and removing items according to heir start and end time.

Notes:

- An endTime can be retrieved through /buy/browse/v1/item/ {item_id}, but only if it has buyingOptions:{AUCTION}. This doesn't work for buyingOptions:{BEST_OFFER | FIXED_PRICE}.

- Calling /buy/browse/v1/item/ {item_id} for every item retrieved by /buy/browse/v1/item_summary/search isn't a feasible option as it generates unnecessary requests and traffic.

sagar_developersupport avatar image
0 Likes"
sagar_developersupport answered

Hi @tapdevelop ,

I have tried to reproduce the issue and I am able to get FIXED_PRICE, AUCTION and BEST_OFFER types of listings in the response of the call.

When you using buyingOptions filter in the request, you can use combination of all three buyingOption in the request.

Please find the sample request URL below:
https://api.ebay.com/buy/browse/v1/item_summary/search?q=playstation 4&filter=buyingOptions:{FIXED_PRICE|BEST_OFFER|AUCTION},itemEndDate:[2021-03-10T07:47:48Z]

Best regards ,
eBay Developer Support

tapdevelop avatar image
0 Likes"
tapdevelop answered

Thanks @sagar_developersupport for taking your time but unfortunately and as I already mentioned, filtering is not the point. The startDate and endDate fields of an item are not returned by /buy/browse/resources/item_summary/methods/search. The legacy Finding API on the other hand does exactly that.

If the legacy Finding API will be deprecated and there is no alternative to to retrieve these two dates, we can scrap our application. It's as simple as that.

foulfoot avatar image
-1 Like"
foulfoot answered

The Browse API doesn't return those values because they are implicit details of auctions, which the Browse API doesn't deal with (you do get some auction results returned, but only those items which also have a Buy-It-Now / Fixed Price). The Browse API is part of eBay's continuing migration towards being a direct competitor to Amazon, and auctions aren't part of that vision.

That said, the Finding API has not been deprecated as of yet. Of course it will be (and probably sooner than later), but as of now, it's still operational.

tapdevelop avatar image
0 Likes"
tapdevelop answered

@foulfoot: By default /item_summary/search returns items with buyingOptions BEST_OFFER and FIXED_PRICE as you mentioned but you can set an option so that it returns AUCTION as well. Calling /item/{item_id} returns endDate but only for items with buying option AUCTION.

Obviously eBay stores startDate and endDate and why shouldn't they expose them via the Browse API as they did with the Finding API.

foulfoot avatar image
0 Likes"
foulfoot answered

From the docs:

Note: Only FIXED_PRICE (Buy It Now) items are returned by default. However, this method
does return items where both FIXED_PRICE and AUCTION are available as a buying option.
After a bid has been placed, items become active auction items and are no longer returned
by default, but they remain accessible by filtering for the AUCTION buying option. 

Implying that straight auctions, without a Fixed Price option, are not returned. I'm only relaying what others have complained about in the past; I don't use the Browse API for mainly this reason.

Again, as for why they're not exposing the start and end dates, I can only theorize. Amazon items don't have start and end times; they're either available, or not available. Ergo, eBay wants to be the same -- a marketplace for seller storefronts with (generally) multiple stocks of an item. They are trying really, really hard to move away from the "classified ads" model of used items.

tapdevelop avatar image
0 Likes"
tapdevelop answered

@foulfoot: "Only FIXED_PRICE...by default " is off course correct but if you add the parameter filter=buyingOptions:{AUCTION|BEST_OFFER|FIXED_PRICE}, then the Browse API returns all three.

That's good to know, thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
hadjgian avatar image
0 Likes"
hadjgian answered

@sagar_developersupport the question is to have the end date of items retrieved in a single call, the search call. Honestly, it is a vital field for all auctions that needs to be presented to users. As @tapdevelop already said, getting this information through "/buy/browse/v1/item/{item_id}" would need 101 calls for listing just one page with 100 items. And the only reason for these calls would be for just getting the ending dates for auctions.

As of today, I believe that we are all here discussing this cause of the email we got saying that Finding API rover links would stop working after 31st of March and it would be good to start transferring our calls to the new enhanced Browser API. But Browser API has many important features missing and many applications would break due to this. My opinion is that eBay should not deprecate the FindingAPI without offering at least all the vital features that many applications are currently built on, such as the end date and the starting date.

I second this opinion. I need the Browser API to make available auction start times, or my app is broken. eBay has to add missing features such as this one before deprecating the legacy APIs.

0 Likes 0 ·
tapdevelop avatar image
0 Likes"
tapdevelop answered

@hadjgian from March 31st, only the legacy rover-based affiliate links will no longer work. The Finding API will remain in place for the time being.

Although the documentation doesn't recommend it, you could compile the new style links yourself.

And how can you achieve this? Is there another API that does this conversion?

0 Likes 0 ·

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.