question

ros-829992 avatar image
0 Likes"
ros-829992 asked

how to call finding api

Hello Is there anyone that would be able to help me make sense of the ebay api system. I've created a website in bubble.io and am having problems calling the ebay finding api. I want my website to display search results from a specific ebay site and enable my users to filter as well (as well as add affiliate info). THe URI i seem to be calling is failing, is there a guide or something that I can use to help me as I'm struggling to make sense of the ebay developers site. Thanks

apifinding-apiuri
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
1 Like"
helios825 answered

When I started out with the Finding API (which can handle GET URLs and didn't need POST queries), I found it helpful to slowly build those URL queries in a text editor, then paste into my browser, and I could view direct, raw, live API responses.

Processing those with scripts to then generate HTML for my website was the next step, but before that I needed to get under my belt the basics of API query construction.

If you can post a sample URL query here in this thread -- with your API credentials masked/removed -- we can help you troubleshoot.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

@helios825

Hi thanks for replying so quickly, I'm just still a bit confused as to the syntax of how to call the URI, I'm not sure if I need to include the HTTP Headers as well as the response body. (https://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1 - would i only need to add the commands I want to the end of this url?)

Sorry if the answer comes across as obvious but I'm struggling to understand what to do due to having limited coding knowledge. Do you know of anywhere where I could see some sample calls to understand how it works. Thanks again for your help

0 Likes 0 ·
ros-829992 avatar image
0 Likes"
ros-829992 answered

@

I'm come to this sort of point

https://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?

SECURITY-APPNAME=!!!!!!

&OPERATION-NAME=findItemsAdvanced

&SERVICE-VERSION=1.0.0

&RESPONSE-DATA-FORMAT=JSON

&REST-PAYLOAD

&keywords=fiesta

&descriptionSearch=true

&outputSelector=AspectHistogram

&paginationInput.entriesPerPage=6

&buyerPostalCode=!!!!!

&itemFilter.name=MaxDistance

&itemFilter.value=50

&GLOBAL-ID=EBAY-GB

&siteid=3

&categoryId=100

I would really appreciate any sort of help, am trying to understand how to do this but struggling due to lack of knowledge of code. Thanks

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered

You don't need to send headers if you're using a standard GET request to the Finding API.

Start by simplifying your search query. I took your example, added my own AppID, updated the version to a # that's more modern, then stripped out most of the optional filters/parameters, then pasted it into my browser, and it returned data just fine.

Look through each character/word of this URL. Then, give it a try yourself (with your own AppID) :

https://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?SECURITY-APPNAME=____________&OPERATION-NAME=findItemsAdvanced&SERVICE-VERSION=1.12.0&RESPONSE-DATA-FORMAT=JSON&REST-PAYLOAD&keywords=fiesta

clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered

itemFilter uses the repeatable format and should have an index number as: itemFilter(0).name=

https://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/finding/CallRef/findItemsAdvanced.html#samplefastShipping and also click the Making a Call link at the tope of that page.

likewise categoryId= should be categoryId(0)=

Some of these repeatable parameters will work without the index if only one is used, but may fail down the road.

siteid= is not a Finding API parameter (it's from Shopping API). You can't mix the parameters and you can't make up parameters. GLOBAL-ID selects the site.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.