question

lord_juju avatar image
0 Likes"
lord_juju asked ·

keywords in /item_summary/search

I am having great difficulty in getting results using the keyword search.

I wonder whether I am misunderstanding the documentation.

I want to search for items with either "cat" or "dog" or "bird" in their title. Naturally I have tried

/buy/browse/v1/item_summary/search?q=cat dog bird

but I can't get any results. Any idea what I could be doing wrong? I have encoded the spaces (%20)

Also is there a maximum number of keywords I can use, or a total maximum string length?

item_summary search
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

utrecht1976 avatar image
1 Like"
utrecht1976 answered ·

Try (cat,dog,bird)

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

lord_juju avatar image
0 Likes"
lord_juju answered ·

Thanks that works perfectly now!

I am stunned that the documentation here (https://developer.ebay.com/api-docs/buy/browse/resources/item_summary/methods/search#uri.q) is so confusing / misleading / wrong.

It gets the comma and space meanings the wrong way round - I did think it was an odd that it was the opposite of the typical ebay search, but I assumed it mut be correct to be in the documentation.

It also fails to mention brackets - and it even shows examples without brackets.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.