question

qtyman avatar image
0 Likes"
qtyman asked

Platform notifications truncated

I recently switched from SMTP to HTTPS for Platform Notifications. This transition happened about a month ago. However within the past few hours I've noticed something unusual that I haven't seen before. I'm noticing that a significant number of notifications (maybe around 20%) are truncated at close to around a size that is a multiple of 16k though it isn't exact. It doesn't appear to be caused by special characters since it will happen in the middle of regular eBay generated content. This prevents me from fully consuming it as it is not valid SOAP.

I haven't changed anything recently but my listener is behind an AWS application load balancer, and Apache server running PHP 7.4. All instances became impacted at the same time. However there's no way for me to know for certain if the issue is on my end or eBay's. Is anyone having the same problem? Or is it possible there's a problem at the load balancer level or something with my Apache/PHP settings?

platform notifications
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

kostyab123 avatar image
1 Like"
kostyab123 answered

What we noticed that now new tokens arrive in different format since yesterday morning (tokens are much shorter and have different style of symbols). And our customers who have token in new format have their Platform Notifications broken. While all our customers with old tokens work without any issues. Could you please confirm that you have similar issues?

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

I have noticed as of 2 days ago that tokens resemble the OAuth tokens instead of being multiple KB in size are now a few dozen characters. That being said one of our largest sellers has occasional corrupted platform notifications and they have the old type of token. So it doesn't seem to be exclusively new tokens. I've started detecting broken notifications and am blocking them. Hopefully eBay retries it and one of the retries succeeds instead though I'm aware this is probabilistic and this guarantees some will hit the retry limit and expire.

0 Likes 0 ·
sandeep.dhiman avatar image
0 Likes"
sandeep.dhiman answered

This issue is not related to switching from SMTP to HTTPS for Platform Notifications. There was a problem in one of the underlying systems that have been resolved. You may have to ask users to mint the token again.

Regards,

eBay Developers Support

I doubt we are talking about the same thing. This issue is still ongoing but it went from about 10% of notifications (real number, not estimated) to less than 0.07% since the 23rd. This was without minting new tokens and as stated before this applied to old and new users alike. Also it would not be possible to get users to do mint a new token. I've found over the past 11 years it is nearly impossible to force anyone to reauthorize their tokens once every 18 months or even update their payment information when it expires and that includes even the most loyal of users.

0 Likes 0 ·
qtyman avatar image
0 Likes"
qtyman answered

I've noticed this occurs more often when load is high vs when load is low. With low load this happens almost never. But when eBay decides they want to send me 10000+ messages in a few seconds that's when it starts happening. That tells me that the payload is probably sent in 16k chunks and terminates prematurely failing silently possibly due to a timeout. I would normally expect this to be sent all or nothing. SMTP didn't have that issue since emails were sent whole regardless.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.