question

eastanglianbookshop avatar image
0 Likes"
eastanglianbookshop asked

Why is ReviseFixedPriceItem returning the error PostageCostPaidByOption

Starting yesterday at 11:25am MST when uploading a listing revision with ReviseFixedPriceItem the API is returning the error:

PostageCostPaidByOption is required. It has been defaulted to buyer.

Bearing in mind that our listing management system has been working faultlessly for years I find it really unusual that this error has cropped up out of the blue.

There is no reference to the option in the ReviseFixedPriceItem documentation and googling the error returns no significant results.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

revisefixedpriceitem
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Sifting through the system emails this only seems to be happening with our eBayUK listings (we listing on eBayDE and eBayAu too).

The error is also returned from the additem call.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Likes"
eastanglianbookshop answered

The reason I did not find it in the API call reference is it is documented as ShippingCostPaidByOption. Well done developers.

The second part of my question stands, how could this all of a sudden become and issue?

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

shulmani_developer.support avatar image
0 Likes"
shulmani_developer.support answered

Hi,

Is it possible for you to paste your request so that we can have a look at it?

This will help us reproduce the issue. I also want to know if you are getting the same issues while revising any items?

Cheers!!

Posted request below.

The error is being received from revise item calls.

The code that builds the xml is the same code used for add calls so I expect I am getting the same errors for add except my system is not returning them.

Daniel

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Likes"
eastanglianbookshop answered

<ReviseFixedPriceItemRequest xmlns="urn:ebay:apis:eBLBaseComponents">
<RequesterCredentials>
</RequesterCredentials>
<Version>821</Version>
<ErrorLanguage>en_GB</ErrorLanguage>
<WarningLevel>High</WarningLevel>
<MessageID>10597ben049</MessageID>
<Item>
<Site>UK</Site>
<ItemID>350744488660</ItemID>
<Title>25 Early Pieces: Easier Piano Pieces 67 (Easier... - Acceptable - Paperback</Title>
<Description>This is where the description goes</Description>
<Site>UK</Site>
<Country>GB</Country>
<Location>Lowestoft</Location>
<PostalCode>NR32 1UL</PostalCode>
<Storefront>
<StoreCategoryID>1</StoreCategoryID>
</Storefront>
<PrimaryCategory>
<CategoryID>377</CategoryID>
</PrimaryCategory>
<CategoryMappingAllowed>false</CategoryMappingAllowed>
<Quantity>1</Quantity>
<ListingDuration>GTC</ListingDuration>
<ListingType>FixedPriceItem</ListingType>
<DispatchTimeMax>1</DispatchTimeMax>
<ReturnPolicy>
<ReturnsAcceptedOption>ReturnsAccepted</ReturnsAcceptedOption>
<ReturnsWithinOption>Days_14</ReturnsWithinOption>
<Description>In order to take advantage of your rights under this returns policy you must contact us as soon as possible to inform us you would like to return the item. The cost of shipping the items back to CBooksUK falls to the consumer and will not be refunded unless the item received is not as originally described.</Description>
</ReturnPolicy>
<Currency>GBP</Currency>
<PaymentMethods>PayPal</PaymentMethods>
<PayPalEmailAddress>paypal@c-books.co.uk</PayPalEmailAddress>
<PictureDetails>
<GalleryURL>http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1854723588.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg</GalleryURL>
<PictureURL>http://images.amazon.com/images/P/1854723588.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg</PictureURL>
</PictureDetails>
<SKU>10597ben049</SKU>
<ConditionID>6000</ConditionID>
<ProductListingDetails>
<IncludePrefilledItemInformation>FALSE</IncludePrefilledItemInformation>
<ISBN>1854723588</ISBN>
</ProductListingDetails>
<StartPrice currencyID="GBP">3.99</StartPrice>
<ShippingDetails>
<ShippingDiscountProfileID>639224013</ShippingDiscountProfileID>
<ShippingServiceOptions>
<FreeShipping>TRUE</FreeShipping>
<ShippingServicePriority>1</ShippingServicePriority>
<ShippingService>UK_RoyalMailSecondClassStandard</ShippingService>
<ShippingServiceCost currencyID="GBP">0</ShippingServiceCost>
</ShippingServiceOptions>
<ShippingServiceOptions>
<ShippingServicePriority>2</ShippingServicePriority>
<ShippingService>UK_RoyalMailFirstClassStandard</ShippingService>
<ShippingServiceCost currencyID="GBP">1.1</ShippingServiceCost>
</ShippingServiceOptions>
<InternationalShippingDiscountProfileID>639224013</InternationalShippingDiscountProfileID>
<InternationalShippingServiceOption>
<ShippingServicePriority>3</ShippingServicePriority>
<ShippingService>UK_RoyalMailAirmailInternational</ShippingService>
<ShipToLocation>Europe</ShipToLocation>
<ShippingServiceCost currencyID="GBP">1.6</ShippingServiceCost>
</InternationalShippingServiceOption>
<InternationalShippingServiceOption>
<ShippingServicePriority>4</ShippingServicePriority>
<ShippingService>UK_RoyalMailAirmailInternational</ShippingService>
<ShipToLocation>Worldwide</ShipToLocation>
<ShippingServiceCost currencyID="GBP">3.5</ShippingServiceCost>
</InternationalShippingServiceOption>
</ShippingDetails>
<AutoPay>TRUE</AutoPay>
</Item>
</ReviseFixedPriceItemRequest>

0 Likes"

HI,

I tried a couple of times, but not able to re-produce the issue. Can you please paste the response here?

Is the message that you get a warning or an error?

Cheers!!!

SimpleXMLElement Object
(
[ShortMessage] => PostageCostPaidByOption is required. It has been defaulted to buyer.
[LongMessage] => PostageCostPaidByOption is required. It has been defaulted to buyer.
[ErrorCode] => 21919205
[SeverityCode] => Warning
[ErrorClassification] => RequestError
)
0 Likes 0 ·
blueskiwi avatar image
0 Likes"
blueskiwi answered

I have started getting exactly this problem at the same time (starting around 7-8 October)

I am getting it in response to AddItem calls:

['{"ErrorCode": "21919204", "LongMessage": "You haven\'t provided ReturnsWithinOption, it has been defaulted to 14 days.", "ErrorClassification": "RequestError", "SeverityCode": "Warning", "ShortMessage": "You haven\'t provided ReturnsWithinOption, it has been defaulted to 14 days."}',

'{"ErrorCode": "21919178", "LongMessage": "Returns window is required", "ErrorClassification": "RequestError", "SeverityCode": "Error", "ShortMessage": "Returns window is required"}',

'{"ErrorCode": "21919205", "LongMessage": "PostageCostPaidByOption is required. It has been defaulted to buyer.", "ErrorClassification": "RequestError", "SeverityCode": "Warning", "ShortMessage": "PostageCostPaidByOption is required. It has been defaulted to buyer."}',

'{"ErrorCode": "21919179", "LongMessage": "Who pays for postage is required", "ErrorClassification": "RequestError", "SeverityCode": "Error", "ShortMessage": "Who pays for postage is required"}']

Note that I am getting one error at SeverityLevel Warning saying "You haven't provided ReturnsWithinOption, it has been defaulted to 14 days." and then another at SeverityLevel Error saying "Returns window is required" which seems to refer to the same problem but with less specific wording and greater severity.

Same for the other two: a Warning about "PostageCostPaidByOption is required. It has been defaulted to buyer." and then an Error saying "Who pays for postage is required".

My AddItem call is failing, I assume due to the Errors, even though the related Warnings say the relevant fields have been defaulted to a value.

The documentation is completely confusing, because it doesn't list any PostageCostPaidByOption field. Instead there is ShippingCostPaidByOption but this is listed as optional:

http://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/XML/docs/Reference/eBay/AddItem.html#Request.Item.ReturnPolicy.ShippingCostPaidByOption

Alternatively this page is supposed to give more information:

http://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/XML/docs/Reference/eBay/GeteBayDetails.html#Response.ReturnPolicyDetails.ShippingCostPaidBy.ShippingCostPaidByOption

It lists the 'occurrence' of the field as 'conditional' but doesn't explain how or why.

Similarly for ReturnsWithinOption the docs say

"If the seller accepts returns (ReturnsAcceptedOption=ReturnsAccepted) but you do not pass in this ReturnsWithinOption field when listing the item, some eBay sites may set a default value (like Days_14), and the seller is obligated to honor this setting. Therefore, to avoid unexpected obligations, the seller should set a specific value for this field."

I can see I should set this field, but also the defaulting described int eh docs (and the Warning) doesn't work because I am also getting a hard error.

I should add I am calling to the UK site rather than USA.

This perhaps explains the difference between PostageCostPaidByOption and ShippingCostPaidByOption but not why this isn't documented properly and why it is causing the call to fail.

0 Likes 0 ·
blueskiwi avatar image
0 Likes"
blueskiwi answered

Well, I am now stuck.

I have set the values in my API call:

{

'ReturnPolicy.ShippingCostPaidByOption': 'Buyer',

'ReturnPolicy.ReturnsWithinOption': 'Days_14',

}

and what's happened?  The warnings have gone away, but the errors are still present:

['{"ErrorCode": "21919178", "LongMessage": "Returns window is required", "ErrorClassification": "RequestError", "SeverityCode": "Error", "ShortMessage": "Returns window is required"}', '{"ErrorCode": "21919179", "LongMessage": "Who pays for postage is required", "ErrorClassification": "RequestError", "SeverityCode": "Error", "ShortMessage": "Who pays for postage is required"}']

This seems like a FAIL on eBay's side

Please provide more details of what is required on our side if not

I'm using the SOAP interface and API version 843

0 Likes 0 ·
blueskiwi avatar image
0 Likes"
blueskiwi answered

if I run exactly the same AddItem call against the sandbox site it succeeds

0 Likes"

Hi blueski,

Can you please paste your addItem request here?
I was not able to re-produce the issue with RevisFixedPriceItem requested sent by  eastanglianbookshop.

Unless we are able to re-produce the issue , its very difficult to know if its a documentation issue or an API issue.

Cheers!!!

jnc_incorporated avatar image
0 Likes"
jnc_incorporated answered

Same error/warning being returned here too:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <AddFixedPriceItemResponse xmlns="urn:ebay:apis:eBLBaseComponents"><Timestamp>2013-10-18T12:48:21.482Z</Timestamp><Ack>Warning</Ack><CorrelationID>1</CorrelationID><Errors><ShortMessage>PostageCostPaidByOption is required. It has been defaulted to buyer.</ShortMessage><LongMessage>PostageCostPaidByOption is required. It has been defaulted to buyer.</LongMessage><ErrorCode>21919205</ErrorCode><SeverityCode>Warning</SeverityCode><ErrorClassification>RequestError</ErrorClassification></Errors><Version>843</Version><Build>E843_UNI_API5_16408934_R1</Build>...

Request:

<?xml version=''1.0'' encoding=''utf-8''?><AddFixedPriceItemRequest xmlns="urn:ebay:apis:eBLBaseComponents"><RequesterCredentials>.....></RequesterCredentials><MessageID>1</MessageID><Item><AttributeSetArray/><BuyerRequirementDetails><MaximumItemRequirements><MaximumItemCount>25</MaximumItemCount></MaximumItemRequirements><MaximumUnpaidItemStrikesInfo><Count>2</Count><Period>Days_30</Period></MaximumUnpaidItemStrikesInfo><MinimumFeedbackScore>-1</MinimumFeedbackScore></BuyerRequirementDetails><ConditionID>1000</ConditionID><Country>GB</Country><Currency>GBP</Currency><Description>.....</Description><DispatchTimeMax>1</DispatchTimeMax><GetItFast>True</GetItFast><ListingDuration>GTC</ListingDuration><ListingType>FixedPriceItem</ListingType><AutoPay>True</AutoPay><PaymentMethods>PayPal</PaymentMethods><PayPalEmailAddress>

...</PayPalEmailAddress><PictureDetails><GalleryType>Gallery</GalleryType><GalleryURL>...</GalleryURL><PictureURL>...</PictureURL></PictureDetails><PostalCode>...</PostalCode><PrimaryCategory><CategoryID>378</CategoryID></PrimaryCategory><ProductListingDetails><ISBN>1843923653</ISBN><ListIfNoProduct>True</ListIfNoProduct><IncludePrefilledItemInformation>True</IncludePrefilledItemInformation><IncludeStockPhotoURL>True</IncludeStockPhotoURL><UseStockPhotoURLAsGallery>True</UseStockPhotoURLAsGallery></ProductListingDetails><Quantity>2</Quantity><ReturnPolicy><Description>...</Description><ReturnsAcceptedOption>ReturnsAccepted</ReturnsAcceptedOption><ReturnsWithinOption>Days_14</ReturnsWithinOption></ReturnPolicy><ShippingDetails><InternationalShippingDiscountProfileID>647300013</InternationalShippingDiscountProfileID><InternationalShippingServiceOption><ShippingService>UK_RoyalMailAirmailInternational</ShippingService><ShippingServiceAdditionalCost>1.3</ShippingServiceAdditionalCost><ShippingServiceCost>2.8</ShippingServiceCost><ShippingServicePriority>1</ShippingServicePriority><ShipToLocation>European Union</ShipToLocation></InternationalShippingServiceOption><InternationalShippingServiceOption><ShippingService>UK_RoyalMailAirmailInternational</ShippingService><ShippingServiceAdditionalCost>2.21</ShippingServiceAdditionalCost><ShippingServiceCost>3.71</ShippingServiceCost><ShippingServicePriority>2</ShippingServicePriority><ShipToLocation>US</ShipToLocation><ShipToLocation>CA</ShipToLocation></InternationalShippingServiceOption><InternationalShippingServiceOption><ShippingService>UK_RoyalMailAirmailInternational</ShippingService><ShippingServiceAdditionalCost>2.21</ShippingServiceAdditionalCost><ShippingServiceCost>3.71</ShippingServiceCost><ShippingServicePriority>3</ShippingServicePriority><ShipToLocation>Worldwide</ShipToLocation></InternationalShippingServiceOption><InternationalShippingServiceOption><ShippingService>UK_RoyalMailInternationalSignedFor</ShippingService><ShippingServiceAdditionalCost>5.83</ShippingServiceAdditionalCost><ShippingServiceCost>7.33</ShippingServiceCost><ShippingServicePriority>4</ShippingServicePriority><ShipToLocation>European Union</ShipToLocation></InternationalShippingServiceOption><InternationalShippingServiceOption><ShippingService>UK_RoyalMailInternationalSignedFor</ShippingService><ShippingServiceAdditionalCost>6.66</ShippingServiceAdditionalCost><ShippingServiceCost>8.16</ShippingServiceCost><ShippingServicePriority>5</ShippingServicePriority><ShipToLocation>Worldwide</ShipToLocation></InternationalShippingServiceOption><PaymentInstructions>...</PaymentInstructions><ShippingServiceOptions><FreeShipping>True</FreeShipping><ShippingService>UK_RoyalMailSecondClassStandard</ShippingService><ShippingServiceAdditionalCost>0</ShippingServiceAdditionalCost><ShippingServiceCost>0</ShippingServiceCost><ShippingServicePriority>1</ShippingServicePriority></ShippingServiceOptions><ShippingServiceOptions><ShippingService>UK_RoyalMailFirstClassStandard</ShippingService><ShippingServiceAdditionalCost>0.47</ShippingServiceAdditionalCost><ShippingServiceCost>0.47</ShippingServiceCost><ShippingServicePriority>2</ShippingServicePriority></ShippingServiceOptions><ShippingServiceOptions><ShippingService>UK_OtherCourier24</ShippingService><ShippingServiceAdditionalCost>2.09</ShippingServiceAdditionalCost><ShippingServiceCost>2.09</ShippingServiceCost><ShippingServicePriority>3</ShippingServicePriority></ShippingServiceOptions></ShippingDetails><InventoryTrackingMethod>SKU</InventoryTrackingMethod><SKU>464212</SKU><StartPrice>25.49</StartPrice><Storefront><StoreCategoryID>1</StoreCategoryID></Storefront><Title>Reluctant Gangsters by John Pitts. Paperback published by Willan 9781843923657</Title><UUID>0EF6431D853A437B8BBECF48A7F8DDAB</UUID></Item></AddFixedPriceItemRequest>

There's no reference to 'PostageCostPaidByOption' in the documentation: http://developer.ebay.com/devzone/xml/docs/reference/ebay/AddFixedPriceI...

Jon

evodraven avatar image
0 Likes"
evodraven answered

Hi,

This seems to be unanswered yet I have just received the same error for the first time after everything working correctly for ages. Calls to the Sandbox using the same code work without error. Does anyone have an update on this?

Cheers.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.