question

boddies avatar image
7 Likes"
boddies asked ·

findCompletedItems dropped from Finding API

I've had an email saying findCompletedItems is getting dropped from the Finding API in 9 days time - great! :(

Says to use MarketPlace Insights API but have to ask here for access to it?

So how do you get access to MarketPlace Insights API?

Thanks.

finding-apifindcompleteditemsmarketplace insights api
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
3 Likes"
clickimusprime answered ·

Does deprecated mean the API won't be available on October 15?

Deprecated means planned to be discontinued, but still active. But eBay regularly misuses it to mean deactivated.

The email says it will be deprecated, restricted and no longer accessible.

For now, you could log item numbers of interest with Browse or Finding API and pull the sales data from Shopping API after the items end. Check terms to see if that's permitted.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

swappart avatar image
3 Likes"
swappart answered ·

I use the FindCompletedItems call in my custom listing application to get a price recommendation when I'm listing new items. I suppose an alternative method could be implemented using JSoup to send a Get request and then parsing the result.

Example search:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_nkw=radio&_sacat=20081&LH_TitleDesc=0&LH_ItemCondition=3000&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

This is your keyword(s): &_nkw=radio

This is the search category: &_sacat=20081 (use 0 for all categories)

Whether you want to search title and description: &LH_TitleDesc=0 (use 1 to also search desc)

Item condition: &LH_ItemCondition=3000 (3000 = used)

Return completed items only: &LH_Complete=1

Exclude unsold completed items: &LH_Sold=1 (0 returns sold and unsold)

You can experiment by searching on eBay and seeing what changes in the URL when you check different boxes in the sidebar.

If you have a distributed app and implement such an alternative, I would be certain to make the requests originate from the client-side application and go direct to eBay, rather than have the client send request to server, and then the server get the data from eBay. Of course, if the client isn't written in Java, then JSoup wouldn't work, but I'm sure something similar would be available for different programming languages.

· 3 · Share

When we all currently rely on the API with approved access, the last thing we want to do is resort to scraping - sure we could scrape it but it's unreliable, inconsistent and easily blocked by eBay.

1 Like 1 · ·

I wonder too if the main-site completed-item search will be quietly "deprecated" along with this.

1 Like 1 · ·

Why would it be unreliable? I've been scraping for years to get things, such as revision history, which the APIs can't give me. Never had any issues. Of course, I'm not doing it excessively.

0 Likes 0 · ·
a2hgo avatar image
3 Likes"
a2hgo answered ·

Same, I've had a product for sale since 2013 using this API and to give developers only a few days notice and no real accessible alternative is absolutely ridiculous. I have 10k daily active users who have all paid for my product for whom my product will literally be rendered useless in 9 days time. I am not looking forward to the fallout from that.

I hope someone from ebay is reading this and is able to give us more sensible timeframe to go through the approval process for the new API and to update our products accordingly, especially as we've been given 9 days and the application itself takes up to 10 working days and requires PCI certificates etc, since its an application for all Buy APIs, 90% of which are not required to replace the findCompletedItems functionality.

buchhaltung_0 avatar image
2 Likes"
buchhaltung_0 answered ·

same here :-(

davidvc0 avatar image
2 Likes"
davidvc0 answered ·

Does deprecated mean the API won't be available on October 15? There is an API deprecation page which shows two states: deprecated and decommissioned. The decommissioning date is about 6 months after deprecation.

https://developer.ebay.com/docs/api-deprecation

· 2 · Share

Well they specifically say "deprecating and restricting" and "This end-point will no longer be accessible by your application". I took that to mean, from the 15th but would be good to get confirmation.

0 Likes 0 · ·

Good question. The email says the following, so I think on the 15th it will no longer be accessible.

As of 10/15/2020, we are deprecating and restricting the findCompletedItems call on the Finding API. This end-point will no longer be accessible by your application.

2 Likes 2 · ·
robd3447 avatar image
2 Likes"
robd3447 answered ·

It's a shame that it's such short notice to deprecate and disable the API. I am certain that products such as pricecharting among many others will cease working. It costs $75 to even be considered for the Insights API.

My product will be out of action until I can come up with a good solution to this API disappearing. I drive all my traffic away from retailers and towards eBay by using data from findCompletedItems to show that eBay is cheaper than other third party retailers.

Bit disappointed.

EDIT: Is there any word from eBay on this or any workarounds? Cheers!

jinkysab avatar image
2 Likes"
jinkysab answered ·

Same here! I went through to support but seemingly the only way to contact Ebay is via Premium Support which I don't have.

There must be loads of us in this situation!

bou_2265 avatar image
1 Like"
bou_2265 answered ·

Guys, no one on eBay cares about this thread.

We should personally reach out to the relevant eBay position holders and let them know this is a wrong move:

1. Tanya Vlahovic - Lead Public API Architect at eBay

She posted on LinkedIn about "what we do at eBay to understand our developer community", so this is a good place to comment about how poorly they understand us.

Her Twitter

2. Mazen Rawashdeh - eBay’s Chief Technology Officer

Relevant LinkedIn post we can comment about.

His Twitter

56bits avatar image
1 Like"
56bits answered ·

I pay more than $20,000 a year in fees to eBay, and rely on this API call to price the stock I sell through their platform (to do so manually is not economical).

What am I supposed to do now? Get a job in the middle of a pandemic?

Less than two weeks' notice is absolutely not enough for a change of this magnitude. I know it's not just me that relies on this call to make a living. How can they justify this?

trustbargainsuk avatar image
1 Like"
trustbargainsuk answered ·

I've lost my access to this as well. It's the only part of the API I use and has rendered my app useless.

Looks like it's a case of creating your own api using a webpage scraper. Incredibly inefficient but looks like that's what eBay wants as they provide us with no other alternative.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.