question

nu.life avatar image
0 Likes"
nu.life asked ·

Internal Error during Catalog Calls

Hello,

I've placed about 12,000 calls to the catalog API today. We use an egress controller to ensure no more than 18 simultaneous threads are open at any time.

Up until now, all calls worked, however now any call to the catalog API is returning an internal error (code: 2003).

The Rate Limit API tells me that we have 88,000+ calls left, however, the Ebay API limits page states that non-approved applications get 10,000 calls per day.

Our code is set to respect the rate limit we get from the API and not exceed them. It will also stop processing requests if we get a rate limit exceeded error.

Question

My question is, is it normal for the server to return an Internal Error on rate limits being exceeded for Catalog or is something else happening here?

Example Call

https://api.ebay.com/commerce/catalog/v1_beta/product/6032166730

Error

{
  "errorId": 2003,
  "domain": "ACCESS",
  "category": "APPLICATION",
  "message": "Internal error",
  "longMessage": "There was a problem with an eBay internal system or process. Contact eBay developer support for assistance",
  "parameters": [
    {
      "name": "reason",
      "value": "Failed to transform underlying error response, see logs."
    }
  ]
}
catalog apierror 2003internal errorrate limitrate-limitcatalog api error
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
nu.life avatar image
0 Likes"
nu.life answered ·

Answers:

1. Catalog API calls do throw a 2003 internal error instead of a proper rate limit exceeded error. This should be taken into consideration when handling errors

2. The limit returned from the rate limit api for catalog is wrong. I am not certain why, but while it may report 100,000, the API seems to cut you off around 12,000 queries. If you're using this data (and not an approved application yet), I'd recommend adjusting this value by -90,000 as a temporary workaround

If any developer support wants to weigh in or add anything, please feel free. This does appears to be two bugs on Ebay's API side.

10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.