question

markozd avatar image
0 Likes"
markozd asked ·

Is there no way to search the full eBay inventory by UPC?

OK, simple question, but I have been using eBay API/s for a very long time, so let me elaborate: I have a price comparison site, I need to be able to search on UPCs so I can include eBay products in my listings and ensure they are reliably matched to other like products. - the simplest way to search on a UPC until now was actually just to use the RSS and specify the UPC as the keyword - [like so][1]. I did this to avoid messing around with the API and to save on API calls, and it worked fine for my purposes as I did not need very detailed product info. - RSS is now inexplicably being killed off by eBay. OK, so now we have to use the API, fine, I am not new to the API and pretty much have the code set up already. - But the API does not allow a comprehensive product search by UPC. **findItemsByProduct** allows productID and type to be specified, but it only searches a limited number of categories (Music/CDs, DVD and Movie, and Video Game categories) - no use at all for a site listing millions of different products in different categories! - If I try a similar 'trick' with the API as I did with RSS, using **findItemsByKeyword** or **findItemsAdvanced** to search on the UPC as a keyword (something [like this][2]), no products are returned (even though I know there are plenty on eBay, as the RSS example above demonstrates). Am I missing something here? Perhaps some dumb mistake in how I am searching, maybe there is a different operation I should be using? Or is it now effectively impossible to access the entire eBay inventory by specifying UPC? Because that would basically mean that I will no longer be listing eBay inventory in my price comparisons, which would be regrettable. [1]: http://rest.ebay.com/epn/v1/find/item.rss?keyword=887276395968&sortOrder=BestMatch≺ogramid=1&campaignid=1111111111&toolid=10039&listingType1=All&feedType=rss≶eo=1 [2]: https://svcs.sandbox.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?OPERATION-NAME=findItemsAdvanced&SERVICE-VERSION=1.13.0&SECURITY-APPNAME=[my-app-name]&RESPONSE-DATA-FORMAT=XML&REST-PAYLOAD=true&GLOBAL-ID=EBAY-US&descriptionSearch=true&sortOrder=PricePlusShippingLowest&paginationInput.entriesPerPage=10&paginationInput.pageNumber=1&outputSelector=AspectHistogram&keywords=887276395968
finditemsadvancedsearchfinditemsbykeywordsupcfinditemsbyproduct
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
markozd avatar image
0 Likes"
markozd answered ·
What. OK, so it works in production but not in sandbox. Use findItemsAdvanced and specify the UPC as the keyword. descriptionSearch does NOT have to be set to 'true'. So why does it work in production but not in sandbox? Very inconvenient to use up my API calls whilst testing...
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.