question

rustydomains_deprecated_df225adf-b7cc-4f51-b1d6-4a0865bb3ee9 avatar image
0 Likes"

Call limit message on shopping api

For the past few hours, I've been getting an "IP limit exceeded" error message when making calls to the shopping api, but calls to the finding api are successfully completed. My site has only made a a little over 2000 calls to the shopping api today. What could be causing this?
shopping apicall limit
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered ·
Call limits are not separate for the two APIs (except that Completed Items calls have tighter requirements). A compatible application approval will give you more calls and solve your issue, but you should try to manage the bot problem by limiting calls. Put some basic bot detection in your code. Two approaches: If you are pre-selecting the item searches, you can set up a cron job or other background process to fetch and store data instead of driving API requests directly from user page requests. Cache the data (db, files, etc) and refresh it periodically. When pages are requested, show the cached data. This disconnects the API activity from the user/bot activity. If your pages are based on dynamic user searches, cache the API content, timestamp it, and deliver cached content regardless of age to the bots. Since bots are not usually displaying their results on search engines in realtime, it doesn't matter if they get current data. For users, display the cache data if it's recent, and do API calls to get it when it isn't. This will significantly reduce your call counts.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

rustydomains avatar image
0 Likes"
rustydomains answered ·
Well, looking around these forums, I've discovered that others have also encountered this issue which was most likely the result of the rate of calls exceeding some limit in place to prevent abuse. Google was crawling my pages at the time this limit was imposed. Anyone know when it might reset and if getting approved for a compatible app might reduce the likelihood of encountering this again. These were just basic GetSingleItem calls.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.