question

$$anonymous$$ avatar image
3 Likes"
$$anonymous$$ asked ·

Bug: GetMostWatchedItems no returning data.

on any call

<getMostWatchedItemsResponse>

<ack>Success</ack>

<version>1.5.0</version>

<timestamp>2013-08-02T04:01:36.107Z</timestamp>

</getMostWatchedItemsResponse>

10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
1 Like"
helios825 answered ·

This bug seems to be fixed now. (Thank you, eBay).

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·

Yes, we opened a DTS ticket on this issue on 02-Aug-2013. The rep confirmed it's a bug so we won't be charged.

I just asked for an update from DTS on this last night, and he responded that there's no new info.  :(

Hmmm... If more people pony up for support tickets, will that prioritize the issue with their engineering team? Maybe so, maybe not.

I've too noticed some of those same quirks with the gMWI call. I think the items it skips fall beneath an unspoken "popularity threshold", perhaps like auctions with zero bids, or maybe any fixed-price items that still have 0 sales on them. Multivariation items can get split up, too, fracturing the total number of watchers. Not completely sure, as it's been a while since I've tested all that. Still, as you said, it's not a deal-killer, just a little frustrating and a deviation from a "pure" most watched ranking.

testes2 avatar image
0 Likes"
testes2 answered ·
test[link text][1] [1]: javascript:alert(1)

datarefinery avatar image
0 Likes"
datarefinery answered ·

No one posted a resolution to this thread, so I though I would...

eBay fixed their totally broken XML feed on Monday August 26, 2013, and then told us (after we figured it out) the following day just after noon it had been fixed.

Two and half weeks later it is still working, so far at least.

It's really unfortunate that it took eBay almost four weeks to fix a function that was 100% down

:(

0 Likes"
datarefinery answered ·

Over 7700 views...others are clearly having this problem.   Please consider logging in and clicking 'vote' on the first post in this thread.  (I finally just did).

WE JUST OPENED A PAID SUPPORT TICKET FOR THIS PROBLEM.  I'M CURIOUS IF ANYONE ELSE HAS DONE THE SAME THING....??    If not, you might consider it, although you would have to deposit $75 with Dev Support (hopefully they see this as a bug, fix it, and not charge the $75 but that is the least of my concerns now).

BTW:

Frankly, I was a little slow to identify that this was a problem, even though it was reported by our users.  I've long noticed that the getMostWatchedItems call isn't perfect.  It often skips items that clearly are being watched by a few people (and we've tested that theory), and yes I understand that the category data gets cached so isn't always totally current.   Some items get missed.  It causes us the most problems on quieter sub-categories down the category tree as no results will come back but the affiliate widget will show 2 or 3 or more.    On popular categories a few missing items go unnoticed.   The issue typically is consistent though... an item missing when you run the call one moment is still missing the same item(s) when you run the call a minute or a day later.  Overall it isn't a deal-kiler problem.  (This really is a separate issue well beyond the scope of the current problem.)

So when users reported that categories they watch on our site had few results when they usually have many, my response was just "Well, sorry, that's just eBay".   

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·

Wow, I didn't even notice the thread view-count. Granted it's a raw count (just reload the page), it's still pretty impressively high.

(Hmmm, could the view count have been tampered with? Just a thought.)

0 Likes"
datarefinery answered ·

This is beyond scary.  Happening to us too.  Going on 10 days now.  Our long built userbase is being destroyed.  Note over 7000 views on this thread, and most others have very few.  It isn't instilling confidence...

<getMostWatchedItemsResponse>

<ack>Success</ack>

<version>1.5.0</version>

<timestamp>2013-08-11T07:08:21.031Z</timestamp>

</getMostWatchedItemsResponse>

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but it's admittedly a little unnerving that an API call here just stopped dead in its tracks with a 100% failure rate, and it's still non-functional a week later. Any update on the repair?

Thanks,

-h

joshua11-817 avatar image
0 Likes"
joshua11-817 answered ·

I'm getting the same results, going on a week now... But looking at some of the various "watch count" websites, they're returning data - do they have access to a different API?

devanathan.developersupport@ebay.com avatar image
0 Likes"
devanathan.developersupport@ebay.com answered ·

Hi helios825

The issue has been escalated to the proper department for further investigation. We will contact you, as soon as there is any development on the matter.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards,
Devanathan Sampath
eBay Developer Support

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.