question

ambgao_0 avatar image
0 Likes"
ambgao_0 asked

Do the ebay APIs support adding custom fields or altogether custom entities?

I would like to know if APIs support custom fields in any of the resources. Could we add new custom resource? Thanks
custom
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ambgao_0 avatar image
0 Likes"
ambgao_0 answered
Hi @sanjeev_developersupport, Thanks for the answer. I would like to have further clarifications. From the links you have shared, I understand that the custom fields can be added for Item Specifics in the Trading API. My question was more generic. Can we add custom fields in any of the other resource APIs? And if we add the custom field, will it be added to the JSON or YAML swagger document? We consume the JSON swagger document for our implementation. Please clarify further. Thanks.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ankit_developersupport avatar image
0 Likes"
ankit_developersupport answered
Hi @ambgao_0, For Listing with Custom Item Specifics: REF: [Listing With Custom Item][1] Hope the above will help you!! Best Regards, eBay Developer Support [1]: https://developer.ebay.com/DevZone/guides/features-guide/default.html#Development/ItemSpecifics-Listing.html%3FTocPath%3DDeveloping%2520Applications%7CAdding%2520Inventory%7CWorking%2520with%2520Item%2520Specifics%7C_____5

ambgao_0 avatar image
0 Likes"
ambgao_0 answered
hi @sanjeev_developersupport Could you please help me with an example wherein the added custom field is reflected in the swagger document? I was just curious to know how will it be reflected. Because as per my understanding the swagger document is static. Also how will it(swagger document) know what all things have changed in the application? Also kindly confirm if the swagger document is static or dynamic?

ambgao_0 avatar image
0 Likes"
ambgao_0 answered
hi @sanjeev_developersupport Could you please reply to the above query. It is little urgent for us to know how the custom fields will be supported in the swagger document. Kindly acknowledge. Thanks,

ambgao_0 avatar image
0 Likes"
ambgao_0 answered
hi @sanjeev_developersupport The use case is that, if suppose anybody adds any custom field in ebay then would it be reflected in the swagger doc in the items API?? For example, if I add a new field "XYZ" while creating an item on Ebay, then would it reflect in the createItemDraft API. We just want to understand if whatever changes we do in our Ebay account would it reflect in the swagger doc as well. In some previous reply you mentioned that we can add custom fields in ebay. If that is the case then we should ideally be able to add/retrieve/modify it using the APIs as well. Kindly let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

jourbandts avatar image
0 Likes"
jourbandts answered
Hi @ambgao_0, Can the custom fields you are referring to be added via ebay.com? If so is it possible to send a screen shot see we can specifically see what you are trying to accomplish using the API?

ambgao_0 avatar image
0 Likes"
ambgao_0 answered
hi @jourbandts @sanjeev_developersupport I am not sure if that is even possible. Could you please let me know if it is possible to create custom fields on ebay.com ?? Kindly acknowledge.

jourbandts avatar image
0 Likes"
jourbandts answered
Hi ambgao_0, We do not know either. What I am trying to figure out is what you need custom fields for with the API? To me this doesn't make much sense. Even if we gave you custom fields those fields would cause the APIs to fail, and even if they didn't they would be useless for eBay purposes. So I was hoping you had a legit use case that made sense so we could discuss further.

ambgao_0 avatar image
0 Likes"
ambgao_0 answered
hi @jourbandts So the use case what we are interested in is as follows: For example if I have a Customers page where I can add new customers. It has few fields like Firstname, Lastname, Age, DOB. Now I would like to add a new field(which was not defined earlier on that page). This new fields would be Preferences(text field). In this field I can add whatever the customer preferences are. And when I get the swagger doc to Customers, this newly added field(Preferences) should also appear in it. So our question was whether such functionality(adding of custom fields) is supported in Ebay or not. Hope the scenario is clear. Kindly acknowledge.

jourbandts avatar image
0 Likes"
jourbandts answered
HI @ambgao_0, Thank you for the specific use case. Unfortunately at this time that is not supported and we do not have plans to support such in our roadmap. We will keep your request in mind during our planning meetings and see if this is something that makes sense for eBay in the future.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.