question

deepocean_11k avatar image
4 Likes"
deepocean_11k asked ·

Finding-API returns 302 moved temporarily

Hi, my query is getting status 302 back since today, and it was working properly for a long time until this morning even. I noticed that HTTPS will be enforced, but don't know if anything else is changed / need to change from my side. I use findItemsAdvanced, and just filter for category, keyword and country. Does anyone else having similar problem? What do I need to change? Thanks!
finding-apifinditemsadvanced302
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

kohalacoastgabe avatar image
1 Like"
kohalacoastgabe answered ·
lol @deepocean_11k Bug-reporting revenue is probably a line-item in eBay's P&L statement. This thread should have been 5-messages-deep with mickymouseprime saying "yep, eBay screwed up. Find a workaround" rather than a patronizing smarter-than-thou speech. Whatevs, tho... it's humorous at this point.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Like"
deepocean_11k answered ·
Thanks to @clickimusprime I learned that: file a ticket to ebay cost MY MONEY to fix THEIR bug, so that my app can bring TRAFFIC and PROFIT to their website?? And you think it is understandable??? I can't imaging anywhere else in the world, that file a bug report needs the USER to pay, and you think it is perfectly fine?

1 Like"
deepocean_11k answered ·
@clickimusprime It is just as irritating to see you claimed "misreports" and "a lot of people don't understand the technology they are working with" as the fact that ebay changed their backend and broke client side code and their own examples for almost a week and still no fix. Everything in my original report is 100% true, and I didn't claim the Finding API is down. A query returns 302 back while it did and should return 200, Every software engineer with some web knowledge would know what it is about. If an API is claiming to be 100% RESTful, but can not really work with browser side Javascript and Ajax ?? Regardless of jQuey or not, JSONP or not, it is the damn simple Ajax call won't work, Ebay's own Javascript example won't work. It is by definition BROKEN. All the replies and code snippet just made the problem more clear, But question others' professionalism and pointing fingers is an absurd attitude, no matter what position you are in. *my query is getting status 302 back since today, and it was working properly for a long time until this morning even. I noticed that HTTPS will be enforced, but don't know if anything else is changed / need to change from my side.*

kohalacoastgabe avatar image
1 Like"
kohalacoastgabe answered ·
Same problem, @deepocean_11 . Stable code running eBay API call for months and suddenly error 302 Using call https://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?OPERATION-NAME=findItemsAdvanced eBay: what's up?

woog91 avatar image
0 Likes"
woog91 answered ·
Hi Vintage and Daviburto, Many thanks for your responses, highly appreciated. You have probably noticed I simply gave up attempting to annoy the EDP peoples, due to getting many strange sarcastic responses. Obviously they are in a mess down there on level 11. I admit I took a couple of days out and rewrote my Classic ASP code to use XML rather than JSON. It all works now. Funnily enough I attended an intense corporate Python course just last week where they were preaching to use JSON API's ahead of XML, as XML was outdated and complicated... it just goes around in circles, anybody can make an excuse with a valid example to back it up. My main issue all along was the EDP team not updating the developers on a major issue whereby the example they were presenting via the portal was out of date. Those poor new developers using the examples offered! The best of luck to all. Regards, Andrew

vintage-adventures avatar image
0 Likes"
vintage-adventures answered ·
It would take some work, but using the PHP proxy is a way of maintaining our JS code for parsing the JSON response payload from eBay. It would just take some work to modify our current request, so that it goes to the PHP instead of directly to eBay. What I added to clickimusprime's code is the function wrapping, for when the JSON response payload is sent back to our current JS. It's more than a bug. eBay discontinued the JS callback functionality for the JSON response payload, without any warning and without any explanation. Certainly they are aware of these threads, and they still won't communicate with us about it. It's more than a bug. It's arrogant and abusive behavior by the eBay API developers. As @woog91 pointed out, you can put the term "callback" in your get-URL in a way that should not cause re-direct to 302. Such as "color=callback" .. in that case, the re-direct to 302 still occurs (whereas it would just say No Results for that request if there were no results for that request), so what the eBay developers have done is flag the term "callback," in any place in the get-URL, to go to 302 (such as how you would do a redirect in htaccess). Breaking the functionality was intentional.

daviburto-39 avatar image
0 Likes"
daviburto-39 answered ·
Thanks for trying to help, but I imagine what most people who are watching this thread are looking for, is a Javascript solution - or some response from eBay as to whether this bug will ever be fixed (and it is a bug, unless we are to assume the documentation is incorrect).

vintage-adventures avatar image
0 Likes"
vintage-adventures answered ·
@woog91 All: Please see my comment in this related thread. For modifying our current JS code, to make it work again, this may be the least complicated path. https://forums.developer.ebay.com/questions/32581/php-proxy-example.html Jim

woog91 avatar image
0 Likes"
woog91 answered ·
Hi EDP, I posted a comment on the Ebay Partner Network site that probably should have been posted here... Every business should treat their customers and stakeholders like gold to keep their advocacy positive... your research would tell you 'word of mouth' and the 'love of a brand' is the best marketing you can have. A simple email and update regarding JSON development would be the correct thing to do. Maybe update your web pages too, imagine if you were a new programmer wanting to use your provided examples... not a great look! Have a great weekend! Regards, Andrew

woog91 avatar image
0 Likes"
woog91 answered ·
Hi EDP, You still need to alert/advise/help/do something to update the developers using the JSON example you supply via your website... Obviously it is not working still. Please put us out of our misery... Have a great day! Regards, Andrew

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.