question

kct_leisure avatar image
0 Likes"
kct_leisure asked

Coding eBay Template - Active Content

EDIT: I am aware of [this page][1] which is really useful for suggesting alternatives to ebays 2017 active content changes, but I am looking for a solution to display a cross sell box which is dynamic and suggests related listings based on the listing the customer is currently viewing ---------------------------------------- I am trying to remake our companies eBay template from scratch using HTML and bootstrap CSS and would like to add some dynamic/active content to the page. Secondly, I would like to take a mobile-first approach seeing as our original template lacked mobile enhancements. I have some experience with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript (although I understand eBay no longer allows JS) **Active Content:** I am trying to find a solution for adding a dynamic cross-sell box which displays prices and items based on what the customer is currently viewing. I have seen template companies claim that they can create active or dynamic content, and add an array of widgets to templates - but considering eBays no JavaScript policy I'm unsure how they're doing this? What I would like to know is whether it is feasible to create an attractive eBay template with dynamic content without: A) breaking eBays rules and policies on external links etc B) getting too complicated using workarounds or jumping through various hoops to get the desired result I would also be curious to know whether the use of APIs can be deployed (or perhaps this is the only way that active content can be achieved?) within an eBay template? Could I simply fetch certain items using the API and feed them into an HTML container? **Mobile-First:** Our current template does not scale very well. Additionally, I have seen certain templates change their appearance quite drastically (removing menu bars etc) once reaching certain screen sizes. My question is whether this kind of adaptive scaling can be achieved using media breakpoints alone. The reason why I ask this is that I have never altered the physical content of a page using breakpoints as I have always assumed that you would potentially have to use JS to alter the DOM to remove content and restructure the page - I have only ever altered the content that is already present on the page i.e changing size values. Can this be done by selecting an element on the page using CSS and setting its display value to 'none'? --------------------------------------------------------- Any advice on these two points would be greatly appreciated. I am disappointed that eBay has not provided their own 2019 edition in-depth template breakdown/tutorial that goes beyond creating a basic template, as eBay would surely benefit from more people having attractive listings? I also apologise if this the eBay developer forum is not the correct place to post this kind of query. Thank you. [1]: https://pages.ebay.com/sell/itemdescription/bestpractices.html#ImageGalleryBestPractice
templatehtml templatetemplatesactive contentcsscoding html apidynamic templatesmobile viewmobile first
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

1 Answer

· Write an Answer
puzzlem avatar image
0 Likes"
puzzlem answered
Generally speaking, media breakpoints do not alter the content of a page. They simple change it. That could be changing the dimensions or layout as well as simply hiding content and/or revealing hidden content. eBay seems to be trying to get rid of JS ("Active content") in descriptions. If you really want that, I think you may be out of luck. But using CSS alone to define breakpoints and therefore make one description template appear with multiple variations is absolutely possible.
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.