question

angelleye avatar image
0 Likes"
angelleye asked

Will buyer email address still be provided in eBay API responses?

Hi! For many years now I have been working with clients that sell heavily on eBay and use PayPal for most of their payment processing. We have solutions setup using PayPal IPN to automatically import orders into our local order database. The PayPal IPN data has always included the buyer email address, which we then use for local DB relationships, etc. In the past couple of months we have found that the PayPal IPN data for eBay transactions is no longer including the buyer email address. PayPal informed us that this is because eBay has stopped providing this value in the data they send to PayPal. We were told this is because eBay wants ALL communication going through the eBay messages platform, so they aren't giving sellers access to the buyer email address anymore. This is a real bummer for many reasons. I am trying to find a work-around now, as not having an email our local order means our automated tracking, follow ups, etc. are not available. I was thinking I could just add a call to eBay's GetItemTransactions API from within our IPN script, so that we could obtain the [buyer email address][1] that way. I just wanted to check here that this is going to continue being provided, though, and won't be removed. Is the buyer email still being included in eBay API responses? Will it continue to be, or will it be removed at some point soon? I don't want to bill my client for this work only to find out that it's useless shortly after. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! [1]: https://developer.ebay.com/devzone/xml/docs/Reference/eBay/GetItemTransactions.html#Response.TransactionArray.Transaction.Buyer.Email
getitemtransactionspaypal-ipnemailaddressipn
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

sagar_developersupport avatar image
0 Likes"
sagar_developersupport answered
Hi @angelleye, Thanks for your concern. For now, you can use GetItemTransaction call of Trading API in order to get the details. If in future any changes done on this you will come to know.
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

angelleye avatar image
0 Likes"
angelleye answered
To follow up, I do see that we can use the API to send messages on the eBay platform, so we'll probably go ahead and start moving to that in general, but when we have existing solutions already built and working well, it'd be nice to have access to the email so it can continue working while we add this new functionality. Again, seems to be there now, but I worry it will be removed soon after we start using it..??
10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.