question

sihibbs avatar image
0 Likes"
sihibbs asked

Multiple websites using single App - more than one RuName with OAuth

Hi, We have defined a production keyset for our APP. We run a number of websites which need to connect to the eBay API and so have different AUTH URL's. It seems we can add multiple RuName settings, but only one can support OAuth at any time. How are we supposed to support multiple websites connecting to the eBay API without having to create a new developer account for each one, am I missing something obvious here? Any help appreciated. Simon
oauth2runame
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

sagar_developersupport avatar image
0 Likes"
sagar_developersupport answered
Hi sihibbs , You can use your developer account AppId for multiple websites but you have to take care of the session for each sites . For seller session which is obtained from RUName url after logging in ebay will be used for a single website.
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

sihibbs avatar image
0 Likes"
sihibbs answered
Hi, Sorry I do not quite follow. When we authorise the website, each website has a different auth redirect URL, and it seems we cannot configure multiple auth redirect URL's. We can add a new setting for site, but only one is allowed to support OAuth. regards, Simon
10 |600

jourbandts avatar image
0 Likes"
jourbandts answered
HI @sihibbs, Yes you are correct for OAuth we only support one RuName, Auth redirect URL, and etc. You will have to file a ticket to have developer support generate another keyset for you, https://developer.ebay.com/my/support/tickets (you won't be charged for such).
10 |600

sihibbs avatar image
0 Likes"
sihibbs answered
Hi @jourbandts, That was my conclusion. It seems very odd that we cannot use a single developer account for multiple websites. What is the sensible approach for us, considering we launch lots of sites and want to connect many of them to eBay? I presume we cannot request a new Keyset every time we want to connect a new site. Thanks for the help. regards, Simon
10 |600

jourbandts avatar image
0 Likes"
jourbandts answered
Hi Simon, Yes this is a very common ask. Depending on what exactly you are trying to do there are a few options, 1. We do have a "state" param which can be used and maintained. 2. Create multiple developer accounts 3. Create multiple keysets Number 2 is not ideal as this becomes hard to track, and as you mentioned #3 can be tedious as you have to reach out to us each time. We do have this feature in our back log to enhance to be able to use multiple RuName for OAuth, but we do not have an ETA at the moment.
10 |600

sihibbs avatar image
0 Likes"
sihibbs answered
Hi @jourbandts, Thanks for the info. It seems options 2 & 3 are just not scaleable. We will look at option 1 but this sounds like we will need to develop some sort of intermediate software to handle auth and pass tokens out to individual sites. Is this a correct assumption? It is adding a lot of work to something that we presumed would be fairly straight forward so want to check this is in fact how others get around the problem. I do find it quite a surprise that it is engineered in this way, I do wonder why we cannot just have multiple RuNames all supporting OAuth. I appreciate the replies, it has been hard to understand the logic. thanks, Simon
10 |600

jourbandts avatar image
0 Likes"
jourbandts answered
HI @sihibbs, Yes I apologize that this is creating more work on your end. Maybe you can explain your use case a bit further to help us understand as there may be more out there like you. I think the assumption was 1 3rd party application 1 URL. So your use case wasn't the most common.
10 |600

sihibbs avatar image
0 Likes"
sihibbs answered
Hi @jourbandts, Our use case: We run different websites for different customers, all based on the same propriety platform. For most of these sites we want to connect them to eBay, which is all working fine. Each customer site is on a different domain and runs against a different eBay account (the customers). So we need them to be able authorise each one against their account, redirect back to their domain and store the token in the DB for that site to use. I presume it would be the same say for any agency that runs multiple websites for customers that they want to connect to eBay. We can't really ask the customers to create a developer account each time, so this is where we have the problem. Hope this makes sense, regards, Simon
10 |600

jourbandts avatar image
0 Likes"
jourbandts answered
HI @sihibbs, Sure thank you for the added information. I will take this back to our architects and see if we can't move up the priority. No promises or ETA but just know this is a known feature in which we want to implement at some point.
10 |600

sihibbs avatar image
0 Likes"
sihibbs answered
Hi @jourbandts, Thanks for the help and support, much appreciated. regards, Simon
10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.