question

ilovethesmellofbiddinginthemorning avatar image
0 Likes"
ilovethesmellofbiddinginthemorning asked

Price returned in API keeps changing for the same item

Hi everyone, this one is an odd one. Running a simple find and seeing the prices change (for the same items) every time I run the same search. Is there something up with the APIs at the moment? Example: https://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?OPERATION-NAME=findCompletedItems&SERVICE-VERSION=1.7.0&SECURITY-APPNAME=xxxxx&RESPONSE-DATA-FORMAT=XML&REST-PAYLOAD&keywords=OUT%20OF%20THE%20SHADOWS%208&paginationInput.entriesPerPage=100&paginationInput.pageNumber=1 One of the items returned, 143290376479, comes back with a price sold of $650, but running it again, I get $850! Refresh again, the price keeps jumping between the two. Anyone have any ideas what's happening here? I see it with a whole lot of items during a search.
findcompleteditems
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pjr0506 avatar image
1 Like"
pjr0506 answered
It looks like this was a best offer sale, if you look up the item via sold listings on the website. I know there are problems with best offer sales via the Trading API at the moment (it's been broken for a good two weeks now), so it looks like this is also affecting findCompletedItems. I don't think any of the devs read these forums anymore (as most people's questions go unanswered), so I reported the bug (the Trading API one that I'm still getting) on Twitter through @AskeBay. You'll probably be best doing the same as well. You have to pay $75 otherwise through your developer account. It's quite outrageous that we can't report bugs without paying.
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

0 Likes"
ilovethesmellofbiddinginthemorning answered
Oh wow, thanks for the quick answer and that certainly makes sense - never thought to look at the original listing!
10 |600

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
Here's my best guess as to what's happening... As mentioned earlier, that sample item is a Best Offer item. The eBay website, and most API calls, actually return the incorrect/false/asking price of the item, not the actual selling price. But it appears that findCompletedItems (fCI) does actually return the true selling price, although there's not much way to verify if that's true. So, the lower price being returned, $650, is probably the actual sold price, and the proper one being returned by fCI - when it works. $850 appears to be the incorrect/asking price of the item. Of course, fCI should return $650 consistently, so it seems like there's a bug on some of the API servers, as it were. It's as if some of the servers aren't being properly updated with final Best Offer selling prices, and thus only the false asking price is being returned in the meantime. I'm still seeing this bug currently, and I hope it's a temporary one.
10 |600

0 Likes"
I certainly understand that Ebay chooses to show one or the other price, but it seems nuts that the source of the price keeps changing when the API calls it - whether it's the lower or the higher, it should be consistent on subsequent searches. Certainly makes it difficult to determine which one to use/consider in the process. Hopefully they sort it out soon.
10 |600

pjr0506 avatar image
0 Likes"
pjr0506 answered
@helios825 fCI has always returned the best offer price since I started using the API, which is why this is such a big bug for me as my system relies on having the correct final price. It makes sense as well, as why would people _not_ want to know the actual price it sold for? I can understand eBay not showing this on their actual site, but the API should always return the correct selling price. @ilovethesmellofbiddinginthemorning - the more people that report this the quicker it should hopefully get fixed, so please get in touch with AskeBay on Twitter if you haven't already =)
10 |600

0 Likes"
Just an FYI I’ve sent through a support request as well as contacting @askebay
10 |600

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
**Just an FYI I’ve sent through a support request...** Thanks for doing that! (I assume you mean a paid support ticket through eBay Dev support portal.) If you haven't done so already, you may also consider adding to the ticket either of the following things; I've found these can make it easier for them to address bug reports: 1) An easy/quick sample API call that can be done in the browser, with simple page reloads, to demonstrate and reproduce the issue. When the support rep can see it with their own eyes, I suspect they'll be better able to construct the internal bug report. 2) Mention this thread in the support request. Please keep us posted! Thanks. -h
10 |600

0 Likes"
Yes, have submitted a paid support ticket. And yes I've included examples of the search strings and even screenshots in case they can't see the same results for whatever reason. In fact, now that I've taken note of the best offer items, I've run several searches since and only the eBay public site price is now shown in the API results and not the best offer (actual) selling price. It's possible this isn't a bug but a move by eBay to no longer show the best offer price even though their APIs. Not sure.
10 |600

0 Likes"
I've updated the support ticket with further examples, but I haven't heard anything back - does it normally take this long?
10 |600

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
**I haven't heard anything back - does it normally take this long?** Remember, it's the weekend, and they keep normal biz hours in the eBay Dev support dept. That said, sometimes they're also backlogged during the week too. Hopefully it's not like that these days, and Monday you'll hear back. That theory occurred to me too, btw -- that perhaps eBay has formally stopped adding correct/final best-offer pricing to the fCI API call. Hopefully that's not the case, and it's simply a bug. But for now, it appears as though fCI is currently not getting updated with proper final sales prices for best-offer items. Or at least it's sporadic.
10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.