question

ilovethesmellofbiddinginthemorning avatar image
0 Likes"
ilovethesmellofbiddinginthemorning asked ·

Price returned in API keeps changing for the same item

Hi everyone, this one is an odd one. Running a simple find and seeing the prices change (for the same items) every time I run the same search. Is there something up with the APIs at the moment? Example: https://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1?OPERATION-NAME=findCompletedItems&SERVICE-VERSION=1.7.0&SECURITY-APPNAME=xxxxx&RESPONSE-DATA-FORMAT=XML&REST-PAYLOAD&keywords=OUT%20OF%20THE%20SHADOWS%208&paginationInput.entriesPerPage=100&paginationInput.pageNumber=1 One of the items returned, 143290376479, comes back with a price sold of $650, but running it again, I get $850! Refresh again, the price keeps jumping between the two. Anyone have any ideas what's happening here? I see it with a whole lot of items during a search.
findcompleteditems
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
1 Like"
helios825 answered ·
**Update:** Good news! I heard back quickly from eBay Dev Support, and the rep handling my ticket (I've actually met her at eBay conferences before) confirms that it's a bug. It's been passed over to the engineering team, but it's unclear how high they'll prioritize this issue, among competing bugs/problems they work on. So, we wait.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pjr0506 avatar image
1 Like"
pjr0506 answered ·
It looks like this was a best offer sale, if you look up the item via sold listings on the website. I know there are problems with best offer sales via the Trading API at the moment (it's been broken for a good two weeks now), so it looks like this is also affecting findCompletedItems. I don't think any of the devs read these forums anymore (as most people's questions go unanswered), so I reported the bug (the Trading API one that I'm still getting) on Twitter through @AskeBay. You'll probably be best doing the same as well. You have to pay $75 otherwise through your developer account. It's quite outrageous that we can't report bugs without paying.

0 Likes"
ilovethesmellofbiddinginthemorning answered ·
Thanks for the update - I hadn't heard anything back myself even though I had updated my ticket asking if there was any progress - I guess there won't be any as you've been told this is a permanent change. This probably makes sense for quantity style items, or those that are sold over and over. But what about unique items, collectibles, rare items, etc? Odd decision.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
Bad news. I just heard back from my eBay Dev support rep, who said: **"eBay made a change to protect privacy of user data that an Item's BestOffer price will be available to the seller of the item only."** I guess she discovered it wasn't a bug after all. (It would have been nice if they could have announced it on the fCI docs page, or at least circulated that fact amongst staff, 2 months ago when the change went into effect.)

fastaccord avatar image
0 Likes"
fastaccord answered ·
Just checking in to see if anyone out there has gotten any updates on this issue.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
Not much to report here. I recently updated my ticket to alert them that some helpful clues to the bug were cited by ya'll here in this forum thread, and that perhaps the engineering team might find them useful. I heard back today that there's nothing new regarding a bugfix, except that the Support rep updated the internal bug tracker to note to the engineering team that a few more complaints about the bug came in. (Maybe that refers to other Support tickets on this bug opened by developers here in this thread?)

0 Likes"
ilovethesmellofbiddinginthemorning answered ·
Hi @fastaccord, I've just had my ticket updated to "Waiting-BugFix" status and acknowledgment of the issue. At this stage there's no ETA but it has been sent to the appropriate engineering team.

fastaccord avatar image
0 Likes"
fastaccord answered ·
Just checking in to see if there have been any updates on this from any parties? I am still noticing the bug with the BO pricing. Anyone else seeing anything different?

pjr0506 avatar image
0 Likes"
pjr0506 answered ·
@fastaccord I'm thinking it might be related to the Trading API bug I've been seeing for around a month now, as this is also only affecting best offer sales. See [here][1]. [1]: https://forums.developer.ebay.com/questions/30885/getitemtransactions-is-returning-a-null-transactio.html

fastaccord avatar image
0 Likes"
fastaccord answered ·
Hopefully this bit of info can help too. It appears that Best Offer items sold prior to June 13 are not affected by this bug. So, if there is an Engineer lurking (Hi!), if you made any changes to production after June 13th, you may be able to back track any issues from there.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.