question

dealzplay-com avatar image
0 Likes"
dealzplay-com asked

Over Finding API Limit? But it doesn't reset each day correctly

Hi guys, I've seen lots of similar themed posts about limit errors, but my issue seems different because the 5000 call limit doesn't seem to reset for me each day anyway. My site(s) have been on autopilot for too long, but I haven't changed my code for many months and the finding API was working properly for years. It's strange that there is no call limit report for the Finding API, so I have no way to tell what my numbers are. Here's the error: 10001 Security Error System Service call has exceeded the number of times the operation is allowed to be called RateLimiter findItemsAdvanced FindingService ( function(){ window.SIG_EXT = {}; } )() So, instead of resetting the 5000 each day, did EDP eventually shut down my token or something? There's no messages to check on here, and if they sent an email many months ago .. I don't have it.
finding apicall limit
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

0 Likes"
dealzplay-com answered
I can post links or anything else needed. One of my sites is my user name, but this error is consistent across all of my sites using this token. The error displayed on my site(s) states there's a problem of "Trying to get property of non-object", which is only true because the API isn't actually trying to grab any search results for me **(EDIT: Due to the Finding API call limits causing nulls)**.
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
1 Like"
clickimusprime answered
Looks like you are using a sandbox key in production. Production appids are in the form XXXXXXXX-YYYY-ZZZZ-AAAA-BBBBBBBBBBBB Sandbox keys don't have hyphens. So you probably changed something. You should set PHP to not display errors so your keys aren't exposed when you have issues.
10 |600

0 Likes"
dealzplay-com answered
My AppID/ClientID that begins with MEGACHECKL... is definitely from Production. I just checked again and it's the same one I've always used (years). BUT, you fixed my problem!! **EDIT: ***The following was only correct due to my changes happening during the call reset window****** I simply switched my Key 1 AppID above with my Key2 AppID in my code and everything works again. Now I have to do that everywhere... I cannot find any way to check, but do AppID's expire? Thanks for your suggestions and help!
10 |600

0 Likes"
dealzplay-com answered
OK I have more info, and I was very incorrect in my posts above (which I have now edited). Plus, I hate it when people post an issue and then disappear when others have tried to help. When I stated that things were working again, this was simply a coincidence with the call limit refresh time - I'm not usually up working past 2 a.m. my time which is midnight PT. So, I had swapped one production key AppID for another during the time span when things had just reset (unrealized at the time), and all was back to working properly. When checking again during my actual morning the error(s) and call limit issue was back in place. Apparently I have a site or two that is using or 'wasting' hundreds or a couple thousand Finding API calls. The service team is helping to see if I qualify for expanded Finding API call limits, I already have the 1.5M Trading API approved for years. Do we have a good way to report on our Finding API calls? I'm an ebay affiliate as well, and the reporting there on impressions etc does not show anything outside of normal human behavior. Are SE bots using up my Finding API calls? Is there a way to easily see this from within our Developer reporting? Thanks again!
10 |600

mac9132 avatar image
1 Like"
mac9132 answered
Hey! I have been running into the same issue. Twice this year so far. Once on Jan 21, and again this morning. Last time eBay said it was an issue on their end with their system not resetting the count at midnight PT (I am also in a zone where midnight PT is 2 AM for me). I have opened a ticket but last time it took about 24 hours for them to fix things. I also have the 1.5M API limit in place but really need more due to user growth. Can you let me know what they said about you raising your limit past that 1.5M? (you wrote *The service team is helping to see if I qualify for expanded Finding API call limits, I already have the 1.5M Trading API approved for years.*) As for keeping track of the limit / reporting -- you are correct there is no way to see this from eBay's end. I have had to build a system on my server that counts API calls daily.
10 |600

0 Likes"
dealzplay-com answered
Great, I will keep you informed. So last night, well into the call limit reset time frame (30+ minutes midnight PT), my main production key AppID was still not reset. My 2nd production key AppID did get reset however. Sadly, after just a few hours my call limits have been stopped again on the working AppID. It would seem to me that ebay would prefer our calls to be possible while most of the Americas are awake.. They are helping though, awaiting a reply to my last emailed update.
10 |600

mac9132 avatar image
0 Likes"
mac9132 answered
How do you have 2 production API keys?
10 |600

0 Likes"
dealzplay-com answered
My original key is probably so old it is causing trouble for the system. That's also why Clickimusprime may have assumed it was not a production key since it has no hyphens. See attached. ![alt text][1] [1]: /storage/temp/1969-edn-production-keys.jpg

10 |600

0 Likes"
dealzplay-com answered
Has anyone heard of the Dev's increasing the Finding API call limit to higher than the very low 5000? @clickimusprime Wondering if you've seen this before since you've been around helping for a long time. Sorry to bother. Is there a way to stop bots from using up Finding API calls? I already have "nofollow" on each link generated.
10 |600

helios825 avatar image
1 Like"
helios825 answered
> Has anyone heard of the Dev's > increasing the Finding API call limit > to higher than the very low 5000? > @clickimusprime Wondering if you've > seen this before since you've been > around helping for a long time. Sorry > to bother. > > Is there a way to stop bots from using > up Finding API calls? I already have > "nofollow" on each link generated. Yes, there's a paper trail you can follow for that -- the Compatible Application Check. It's free. And in doing so, they will raise your Finding API call limit to 1.5M calls per day. Having nofollow on each link that triggers your scripts to call an API isn't good enough. Sure, that'll usually stop Googlebot and some other legit bots, but many other bots will ignore it. You need a screening strategy more robust. Consider having your script check the user-agent of the visitor and have a list of common bot UAs that you can have abort the API calling script.
10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.