question

woog91 avatar image
0 Likes"
woog91 asked ·

No results returned by searching for X number of hours each day

Hi all, Have been using the Search API for I reckon over 10 years, I have noticed over the last week that the searches do not return results for the same period each day... (approximately 10am to 8pm Eastern Australian time each day, I think anyway). I have searched the forums and cannot see anyone having a similar issue. The obvious issue could be my calling limit, but have the '1500000000' accesses a day apparently, unless somebody turned it off at ebay headquarters. Do not want to pay 75 dollars a minute support until I have asked if anybody has/had the same issues. Many thanks for any ideas?!
search-api
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

woog91 avatar image
0 Likes"
woog91 answered ·
Hi again, Should also mention i am not getting any html errors on my page, just no results in the search.... Thanks anyone!

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
Please let us know exactly which API call you are referring to. It matters.

woog91 avatar image
0 Likes"
woog91 answered ·
Hi helios825, Many thanks for your response, you are awesome! My initial response to your question, was obviously the 'Search API', but on a closer look I can see no reference to this. I programmed this a long time ago in Classic ASP, and the calls to the ebay database look to be in a mixture of Classic ASP, JSON and XML. I have continued programming in my life, but in SAS and SQL, and cannot remember things I did years ago, so be patient with me... I can see a reference to an : API, ServerUrl = " https://api.ebay.com/ws/api.dll";... I can see a call to : var url = " http://svcs.ebay.com/services/search/FindingService/v1";; url += "?OPERATION-NAME=findItemsByKeywords; etc... Oh jeez, am i using outdated tech! I did love Classic ASP!

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
The first endpoint you mentioned seems to be the Trading API. If that's your search call, then know that searching in the Trading API has been deprecated for years (maybe 9+ years now), so don't expect it to work. The 2nd API call you mentioned is different: the Finding API - findItemsByKeywords . That really should be working fine, assuming your programming is correct. Anyhow, you really need to dig into the code and figure out what's what, and which API you are calling.

woog91 avatar image
0 Likes"
woog91 answered ·
Many thanks for your response helios825, What you have written makes sense. The whole thing works perfectly for 18 or so hours each day. Therefore I believe it works and has nothing to do with the code, but it was good to check. Yesterday the system returned results all day for the first time since I noted the issue. I will check all day for the next few days... hopefully no issues anymore. Maybe somebody from eBay read this thread and helped out. Will post again in a few days.

woog91 avatar image
0 Likes"
woog91 answered ·
Hi Helios825 I have started some type of Support Ticket... I will add to this forum thread when I get a response... in case anyone else ever has this issue.

woog91 avatar image
0 Likes"
woog91 answered ·
Hi Helios, So this is the response I get from ebay developers program support. Hello Andrew Thank you for reporting this issue. Unfortunately, we can not triage this issue base on the information you've provided. Please file a support ticket (not compatible request) with us and provide 1. request / response XML files 2. If there is no response, please send me the exact time (+ timezone) when the API call was made 3. your application ID you use to make the API call If your API call limit was reached, you should've gotten API response back stating so. Please note that if the issue is a bug on eBay's side, we do refund the premium support hours purchased. I am closing this ticket Best regards, eBay Developer Support

woog91 avatar image
0 Likes"
woog91 answered ·
I cannot afford to spend $75 US on support for an issue that ebay developer program/ebay partner network has... there has been continuous issues over 10 years. 10 years ago, the websites where I use the facility to show what is live on ebay earned me 600 to 1000 dollars a month, but now only about 150 dollars a month, whilst I keep sending a similar amount of traffic over those 10 years. I never wanted the money, I was just happy to show my website visitors what was live on ebay at the time for each model on my website... the money was a bonus. I just want to now show how greedy ebay has become. I have been the biggest promoter of ebay, both as a buyer, seller, developer etc for many years. It would not be difficult for support to quickly look up what is happening, and help me. eBay was once the greatest database driven application in the world supporting all the niche markets of the world, bringing people together and connecting them over human interests, now it is not so good, with all the Buy It Nows, cheap bad products etc... I have sent the App ID... AndrewMe-c72a-4c94-ba34-305cee3000e0 At least they could keep it open, so I could respond... I require help, or at least a quick investigation so I can make my next move.... not a request for $75... What a money grab! Disappointed ebayer. Sniff!

dealzplay-com avatar image
0 Likes"
dealzplay-com answered ·
The problem is probably due to the Finding API call limits of the absurdly low 5000. Assuming your code is working properly, and it works for the early part of the day until it quits working (when you hit the 5000 Finding API call limit), you should check your Finding API call requests. Do you have a way to report yourself on how many Finding API calls you are sending? ebay does not make reporting available on this. I would suggest making a new support request, simply asking for an increased Finding API call limit, and go from there.

woog91 avatar image
0 Likes"
woog91 answered ·
Hi Giftcardsale, Many thankyou's for your response. I was accepted for the 1.5 million or so call limit 10 years ago, therefore if I do not have this now something has gone wrong. I agree that the 5000 call limit is the most likely reason for my issue, currently my Classic ASP site does not give me errors due to moving the site to GoDaddy... (damn these corporations). I did also use the 'Increase my call limit' for the last beg for help. I wish they could just tell me how many calls I have now, that would be nice. I am going to do it again... as I do not want to pay $75! :) Will get back to this thread soon. Regards, Andrew

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.