question

t0bsn avatar image
0 Likes"
t0bsn asked ·

Search API Limit increase

I'm running a bot that supplies items to a chat group of buyers on two categories with multiple keywords from 4 regions. We regularly hit the limit around 1pm... is it possible to double the API calls? That would pretty much fix exactly. Thank you!
finding-apisearch-apilimitlimitations
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

sunbloke avatar image
0 Likes"
sunbloke answered ·
API limits are lame and you should consider another approach. I will explain why. Note that this is by rights a comment but I need to go into some detail to explain. Hence it is too big for a comment. For my specific use case, I want to get the whole result set of a wide search term e.g. 'model train rivarossi' and look for them worldwide. This gets me 20k+ results via ebay on the web. Scrolling through 1000 pages of results is a grade A PITA. The problem in a nutshell is that the search terms ebay provides don't do what I need as a railway model hobbyist. And also, too many listings embed all the information I might use to sift such a large result set in the **title**, and leave some or all of the other filterable values empty. If I use the default ebay filters, I may therefore miss items I will be interested in. I can't see any way around this other than to dump the whole result set into a product that is better at searching, like Splunk, and that's exactly what I'm trying to do. The API limits are thwarting me though. I don't want only the first 10,000 unless there's some way to get the next 10,000 as well. And if that exists, I'd like to know how. Alternatively, rather than use an API limit, why not try something like a rate limiter. I don't really care how long it takes me to download the 20k hits (as long as it a maximum of hours not days) but I can appreciate that ebay doesn't want to be swamped by what are effectively bots with all that implies for possible DOS attacks. So instead of a hard limit, why not service the first group of results as quickly as possible, the next bunch with a one or two second delay, the next with a 10 second delay and so on. Then you let the developer decide how long is long enough to wait for results, and the problem solves itself without the need for bogus hacks like hard limits. Why bother with this idea? Because people like me will buy more stuff if they can find it more easily, that's why! And I want to create a Splunk app for ebay to help them do just that.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
Which API call are you using? And for the stated purpose, do you need more than 5K calls per day? I wonder if there are optimizations you can make with your calls.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.