question

InactiveAutoUser avatar image
0 Likes"
InactiveAutoUser asked

API for buying (and submitting payment) on an item..??

I've got a client that wants to automate the process of buying items on eBay.  I see that we can use PlaceOffer to submit bids, offers, or make a purchase, however, the documentation states that on items with Immediate Payment Required we cannot buy the item using PlaceOffer.  

Is there any way around this?  I'm thinking I could use the PayPal Preapproval API to setup a preapproval profile for my client.  Then we could actually submit payments to the eBay seller instantly when we make the purchase via PlaceOffer.  I'm not finding any documentation that shows this would be possible, though, within the eBay system.

Any information on how we could make this happen would be greatly appreciated.  

placeoffer
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jourbandts avatar image
0 Likes"
jourbandts answered

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no work around for this.  I also am not sure if they plan on making this possible or not.  When PlaceOffer was updated for fixed priced items, the immediate pay option was not available.  We now suggest seller to use immediate payment, but I have not heard of any plans to update PlaceOffer.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

jourbandts avatar image
0 Likes"
jourbandts answered

Hi Dilip,

It is a 3 step process,

1.  Use PlaceOffer to buy the item, the PlaceOffer response will give you the TransactionID and OrderLineItemID.

2.  You then have to actually pay for the item.  PlaceOffer is the same as "committing" to the buy when using the UI.  So you can either manually pay for the items through My eBay, or use PayPal API's to make the purchase (if they exist, I am just speculating they have API's to do this, but not sure.)

3.  You can then use GetOrders to see more information regarding your transaction because you have the OrderLineItemID.  At tha tpoint once the item is paid for you can get the ExternalTransactionID.  (If you make the GetOrders call before step 2, you will notice the checkout status is Active and Incomplete).

Here is a sample PlaceOffer request and response,

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<PlaceOfferRequest xmlns="urn:ebay:apis:eBLBaseComponents">
  <ErrorLanguage>en_US</ErrorLanguage>
  <Version>729</Version>
  <Offer>
    <Action>Purchase</Action>
    <MaxBid currencyID="USD">1</MaxBid>
    <Quantity>1</Quantity>
  </Offer>
  <!--<ItemID>110113506643</ItemID>
-->
  <ItemID>110114829749</ItemID>
  <EndUserIP>192.168.100.1</EndUserIP>
  <RequesterCredentials>
    <eBayAuthToken>xxx</eBayAuthToken>
  </RequesterCredentials>
</PlaceOfferRequest>

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<PlaceOfferResponse xmlns="urn:ebay:apis:eBLBaseComponents">
  <Timestamp>2013-05-24T17:43:45.725Z</Timestamp>
  <Ack>Success</Ack>
  <Version>825</Version>
  <Build>E825_CORE_API_16099232_R1</Build>
  <SellingStatus>
    <ConvertedCurrentPrice currencyID="USD">1.0</ConvertedCurrentPrice>
    <CurrentPrice currencyID="USD">1.0</CurrentPrice>
  </SellingStatus>
  <TransactionID>27070321001</TransactionID>
  <OrderLineItemID>110114829749-27070321001</OrderLineItemID>
</PlaceOfferResponse>

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.