question

gfxpixeldesigns avatar image
0 Likes"
gfxpixeldesigns asked

Dynamic Categories Module in listing templates

Hello,

Recently one of my clients contacted me about having dynamic categories inside a listing template. I replied no, at least not without violating ebays policy which forbids any script which updates content without eBays authorization. It seems my client then went on to ask another developer who told them it could be done but they never mentioned ebays policy which supposedly forbids this. Luckily my client came back to me with this info, supposedly to see what i found of it and if it was indeed possible. So i took a look at a sample listing provided by the other developer and found they we're using javascript to update the categories dynamicaly, more to the point they were using the module found here http://lastdropofink.co.uk/market-places/ebay/dynamic-ebay-store-categor... Now i've been aware of this module for a while but always assumed it was against ebays policy but this other ebay developer is using the same script on hundreds if not thousands of ebay listings so i have to question am i'm wrong about this. Over the years i've always told my clients that any kind of script which updates content without ebays knowledge or links to an external site is forbidden on ebay.

Am i wrong ? Please let me know your thoughts on the script in question.

Thanks

dynamic-categories
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pixelsafari_net avatar image
0 Likes"
pixelsafari_net answered
I really need to know this as well :-(. Any new information on this subject?

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com avatar image
0 Likes"
zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com answered
Hi gfxpixeldesigns, We are very sorry for taking so long. Can you provide some sample ItemIDs that were listed as such? Best Regards,

inoen avatar image
0 Likes"
inoen answered
271526456715, 281345277088, 271539931154, 151349656996, 151349619021

shulmani_developer.support avatar image
0 Likes"
shulmani_developer.support answered
Hi, This looks more like a shop design tool. I don't think the tool is dynamically changing the category of the eBay Item itself. Cheers!!!

kolazero avatar image
0 Likes"
kolazero answered
Hello there are thousands ebay shop with java scripts included and all they are using that method to pass js code to ebay, Mostly for galleries and dynamic categories, so is it allowed or not? some ebay shop names: VIPARO-Clothing Debenhams MAXIMUM-COMPUTERS

apps.kernelbd.com/ebay/dynamic-shop-categories/ here is a ready solutions for "non programmers" for dynamic categories could eBay clarify is it safe to use that technique?
0 Likes 0 ·
zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com avatar image
0 Likes"
zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com answered

Hi, eBay does not permit the use of several types of HTML and JavaScript functions in eBay listings, eBay Store pages, or your profile. REF: HTML and JavaScript policy

Attempting to list an item with any of listed JavaScript functions will result in an error returned by the AddItem call: Java script not allowed. Please refer to the KB article titled JavaScript best practices.

Best Regards,

kolazero avatar image
0 Likes"
kolazero answered
OK, thanks! so are you trying to say that if my eBay store custom code will pass (there will be no information about java script not allowed) this will be OK with eBay java script policy?

inoen avatar image
0 Likes"
inoen answered
What is important too (as at least one german design agency frequented this posting) is that the policy does differ a bit in its formulation between ebay.com and ebay.de. While the US-Policy does directly forbid only special parts of code, ebay.de formulates a "generally forbidden" statement and lists some special code infringements which seem to be an even worse breach of the ebay rules. If you contact the german telephone support, every one there will say: "no java script!". Never does anyone say "no script that does this or that but you can use those.." But as everyone can see, ebay is full of js, especially when the seller is a well-known brand. Also, there is a difference in code handling in various parts of ebay, e.g. between the generation of an offer and the relativley new mass editing tool. A part of script which passes the "test" while placing the offer can perhabs not pass the assumed same test in the mass editing tool. If you have e.g. a problem with mass editing your listings with ebays new tool caused by an event handler you used for a picture gallery, ebay support will prompt you to remove that handler. even though you could generate your listing without problems earlier.. and that gallery / event handler does not contradict the quoted js-rules. So, overall: - ~if you'll ask german ebay support, they'll say "no script, eeek!" - ~if you'll read the policy on the german side, you can at least not be sure what is allowed and interpret it in diverse ways - ~if you'll ask some professionall design agencys they will state that they can use their scripts as part of their "certified ebay designer" or whatever status - ~if you'll read the us policy, it's quite clear what is allowed and what isn't - ~and last, but not least.. you can prefer to see it the "if my listing gets listed with all that code i used it is valid" way, but i am quite sure that if you have problems later you will not get very far with that..

owly24-germany avatar image
0 Likes"
owly24-germany answered
any official statement? As it is not clear yet...

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.