question

cooltronix avatar image
0 Likes"
cooltronix asked

Can I write a search API page and put it online?

Simple question, can I write a search API page and put it online? I don't really understand the API related TOS and I am unclear about it. I have a little search page for myself to check my search ranking for certain keywords. Works perfectly fine for me. Can I put it online for others to use and search for their ranking? They would have to put their user name, but that is optional and works also without it. Passwords are not required. You could do the same on eBay.com without logging in. The page isn't monetized by users, but I may add AdSense. Or do monetize it later. Does that make a difference? I am aware of my 5000/day call limit and may need to ask for more. I guess a few here have online service that use API calls. One final question about domain names, can you domain name contain the word 'bay' in it?
domainapi website
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
1 Like"
helios825 answered
Yes, you can certainly publicize your online eBay search tool. In fact, generally speaking, eBay would encourage it, as it helps more end users search for items to buy on eBay. You can monetize it in various ways. You might find your search tool aligns well with eBay's affiliate program, eBay Partner Network. You can apply to join them and monetize your eBay-destined links. Sure, Google AdSense ads are probably OK there, too. As always, you must learn and understand the various relevant ToS docs, such as the eBay API license, ePN ToS pages, Google AdSense rules, etc. I think ePN itself forbids you having "bay" in your domain name (and hostname). Even if I'm wrong on that, I'd still recommend against putting "bay" anywhere in the domain name or hostname. If you grow your biz large enough, eBay may even contact you and ask you to remove "bay" to reduce branding confusion. Create your own clearly-separate brand right from the start, instead.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

cooltronix avatar image
0 Likes"
cooltronix answered
@ helios825 Thanks. Actually part of my question was very easy to find: **You may not use "eBay" or "Bay" (regardless of the letter case) as part of:** **- your company name your trade or DBA** **- name (if different from official** **- company name your house brand your** **- URL domain name** https://go.developer.ebay.com/marketing-guidelines

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.