question

pjr0506 avatar image
0 Likes"
pjr0506 asked ·

findCompletedItems doesn't return consistent results

For example, if I did a call now to find results from yesterday, I would get a different set of results if I did the same call tomorrow for the same time frame. Sometimes this can be a difference of hundreds or thousands of extra sales that it didn't pick up before. Is this normal? I would have thought since it's historical data that it wouldn't change, but clearly this isn't the case. It's not that results have been removed; I understand that listings can get deleted, however for the same time frame more results have been ADDED, if say I wait an extra day and then run the same call again. Doesn't make much sense to me, but then again I have had to write a few workarounds because the eBay API isn't exactly the most stable thing, ha. Thanks for any help,
findcompleteditems
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

pjr0506 avatar image
0 Likes"
pjr0506 answered ·
How would I know it was a temporary error though? We shouldn't have to run every call twice "just in case". I don't think I explained the page difference error properly, sorry. If say, the first call says 25 pages, then when the next call we make for page 2, it would now say 27 total pages, for example. I wrote in a workaround for this error, but when this occurs the number of results can vary by quite a lot between page calls. Your point about a payment not completing immediately did cross my mind, but I'm hoping this isn't the case. When, for example, an auction has finished, it is "completed", regardless of whether or not payment has been sent yet. I'd like to think that if at some point down the line the buyer didn't pay, then that listing would be removed, rather than waiting and adding it in later. As some buyers take a week to pay! Haha. I guess unless someone from eBay can clarify this though, that we'll never really know, as I don't think this is mentioned in the docs.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered ·
When it's a large amount if may be a temporary error occurring during the fetch and re-running should resolve it. For the small number of items appearing later, is it possible these are items where payment didn't complete immediately? If items are inserted over time, it will also skew the results when retrieving multiple pages as they get inserted into earlier pages while you are reading.

pjr0506 avatar image
0 Likes"
pjr0506 answered ·
Yeah, I've seen inconsistencies (even recently), with different results when immediately re-running it. I've also had problems where the amount of results is inconsistent across calls to a different page in the same result set (ie. the total number of pages changes). This one is new to me though, and I only spotted it recently when some of my daily results were suspiciously low. Unfortunately I don't have a URL call for you as I'm using the C# API, but it's a just a basic call. Example params could be ... ListedIn - "EBAY-US" LocatedIn - "US" EndTimeFrom - "2018-05-18T00:00:00.000Z" EndTimeTo - "2018-05-18T12:00:00.000Z" Keywords - "Funko" I split this call in two because it sometimes returns more than the 10k max results across a whole day. I then filter the results to "EndedWithSales", and check for duplicates. Some days it doesn't find many new results than it had previously found, others it find hundreds, even once more than a thousand new sales. The only thing I can think of (apart from it being buggy) is that eBay have changed their default timezone or something. The docs say it's GMT, and I'm in the UK, so when I run this call for the previous day's sales I shouldn't have any problems. However I've checked some of the new results it finds, and they just seem to be random ones from throughout the day, not in sequential order compared to the rest, so I don't think it's that. Thanks,

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered ·
I've seen inconsistencies in the fCI call in the past, sometimes even immediately when re-calling it. However, to see the kind of next-day behavior you are speaking of, can you provide some actual code, preferably a URL call we can try, to see for ourselves? Thanks.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.