question

aborange-de avatar image
0 Likes"
aborange-de asked

FindItemsAdvanced : Problems with pagination (wrong number of results/duplicated results)

I encountered a strange problem using pagination with FindItemsAdvanced: On higher pages, I get a wrong number of results and duplicated items. Example: - Searching for "Koga" on german eBay site - The Response tells me that totalEntries=744 - Then I do 8 requests (one after another) with entriesPerPage=100 and pageNumber=1..8 - The responses for pageNumber=1 up to 5 delivers 100 results per call, all ok! - But the results for pageNumber=6 to 8 has just 36, 35 and 36 results! - Also the results for pageNumber 6 to 8 has many duplicate items already retrieved for pageNumber=1 to 6! My app is mainly unchanged regarding search since years, but this problem was just discovered a few weeks ago. So I think I'm not doing anything wrong. Is this a problem of the Finding API?
finditemsadvancedpagination
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

xiang.developersupport avatar image
0 Likes"
xiang.developersupport answered
Hello @aborange-de Would you please provide a sample request? Best Regards,
10 |600

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

aborange-de avatar image
0 Likes"
aborange-de answered
@xiang.developersupport You can download the requests and response files from https://www.dropbox.com/s/9g7x3e1vxwxlk2g/request-response.zip?dl=0 This is a zip file with the 8 requests and the 8 corresponding responses.
10 |600

helios825 avatar image
0 Likes"
helios825 answered
I haven't looked at your sample upload, but I know that some of what you are observing is normal for the Finding API. Finding API calls seem to re-calculate search results freshly between pagination calls, so items naturally re-sort a small amount between calls and thus you may see duplicates appear since new items are suddenly included and some old ones drop of, and thus everything shuffles a little bit. On the other hand, some of what you are observing does seem a little unusual, such as the last 3 pages of results showing less than 100 items.
10 |600

aborange-de avatar image
0 Likes"
aborange-de answered
@helios825 I understand that there can be little difference between the calls, but in my example the difference is more than a quarter of the results. Also this happens every time I repeat this or another request with totalEntries > 500. Looks like the api server has a problem and is mixing the results of the pages for higher page numbers.
10 |600

clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered
Works fine here. Post a sample of a request URL that isn't working.
10 |600

aborange-de avatar image
0 Likes"
aborange-de answered
Request URL is http://www.ebay.com/marketplace/search/v1/services I use a third party component and I think it makes a SOAP request, so the parameters are not in the url, they will be sended as XML. XML Request is included in my example file below.
10 |600

clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered
**I use a third party component and I think it makes a SOAP request, so the parameters are not in the url, they will be sended as XML. XML Request is included in my example file below.** Ah OK. I jumped in late and didn't see the dropbox file. The missing items are because you are telling the API to hide duplicates. Apparently the total count doesn't take that into account. If you remove the itemFilter, you'll get all the items.
10 |600

aborange-de avatar image
0 Likes"
aborange-de answered
@clickimusprime Thank you for the information about HideDuplicates. Now I've done some tests with and without HideDuplicates parameter: HideDuplicates = true: - Response.TotalNumberOfEntries = 732 - Returned Items = 572 - Number of Duplicates in this 572 items: 51 - Ignoring the 51 duplicates I have 521 unique items HideDuplicates = false: - Response.TotalNumberOfEntries = 738 - Returned Items = 738 - Number of Duplicates in this 738 items: 214 - Ignoring the 214 duplicates I have 524 unique items When I do a search at the eBay site I have 732 items. Maybe there are more than 200 duplicate items on the eBay site but I cannot check this. Still wondering that HideDuplicates tell me that there are 732 items, then I get just 572 results and within this results I still found 51 duplicates. Still sounds that there is something wrong.
10 |600

aborange-de avatar image
0 Likes"
aborange-de answered
@xiang.developersupport You requested me to provide a sample request. I've uploaded request and response to my dropbox (see link above). Can you please check if you can reproduce the issue?
10 |600

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.