question

ogoldba2 avatar image
0 Likes"
ogoldba2 asked

Calls being used for eBay app's Saved Searches page?

Hey all, In eBay's consumer Android app, there is a page called "Saved" or "Saved Searches" (formerly "Following"). In it's UX, up to 100 saved search queries are checked for new items, and then a notification circle is shown for each saved search with new items. Is there a way to do this in a more intentional & account-based system? Currently I'm just re-calling the Search API on n different saved search queries, per pageopen/refresh. Then I'm scanning the found item IDs against a local database for if I've seen them before, and visualizing that. I think I'm a heavier-than-average user of this functionality (goal: 100+ saved searches, multiple refreshes daily, per user), but this would really start to add up in # of calls, given API limiting Any advice? Thanks! Oliver
api-searchsaved-searchesnew-items
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

xiang.developersupport avatar image
0 Likes"
xiang.developersupport answered
Hi @ogoldba2 I am sorry that I don't quite understand your description. What does " Currently I'm just re-calling the Search API on n different saved search queries, per pageopen/refresh. " mean? Best Regards,

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

ogoldba2 avatar image
0 Likes"
ogoldba2 answered
Hi @xiang.developersupport, thanks for looking into my question! To explain a little more, my goal is simple, being able to tell a user when new items are available for a saved search query of theirs. For example the user saves "grey running shoes", and I'm able to tell them when newly listed items (which the user hasn't seen yet) come back from that query. Through the ebay Android app, when the user "Saves" a search, that query ("grey running shoes") now appears in the app's "Saved Searches" page. Each saved search here has it's own ui alert that conveys whether there are new & unseen results for that search. Upon clicking one of these saved searches, the app takes you to a list of only new & unseen items from that search (exactly what I want!). The way I'm currently trying to do this is to manually store all eBay item IDs my user ever sees, and when they check for new updates I just filter out "already seen" items from those results, and show if there are "new" ones. I then run that same query & local filtering for each one of the user's saved searches ("n" of them). This seems like too much business logic on my end, and that maybe there are more concise API routes I can take? Though with the ux bugs seen at 100 saved searches in eBay's app, combined with no web interface for seeing new items in this style makes me not as sure. Any guidance you can give? Thanks so much, Oliver

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.