question

kayaqb avatar image
0 Likes"
kayaqb asked ·

Does the new Sell API have order notifications like PayPal IPN?

I am using the new Sell API but cannot see any notification documentation. 1. Can it notify new orders? 2. If not, is it planned? 3. If not planned, is there another way to find out when an order on eBay has been placed? This is necessary to manage stock if customers sell items on multiple platforms, e.g. their own website, eBay, Amazon.
new apiorder notificationsstock management
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com avatar image
0 Likes"
zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com answered ·
Hi kayaqb, You can take a look our Platform Notification API, however; the API is based on Traditional Trading API/SOAP format. The [AuctionCheckoutComplete][1] notification event is sent to the subscribed seller when the winning bidder or buyer has paid for the auction or fixed-price item and completed the checkout process. REF: https://developer.ebay.com/devzone/guides/ebayfeatures/Notifications/Notifications.html [1]: https://developer.ebay.com/Devzone/XML/docs/Reference/eBay/types/NotificationEventTypeCodeType.html Best Regards,

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

kayaqb avatar image
0 Likes"
kayaqb answered ·
@cabin-globa I share your frustration. I have given up expecting better from eBay. Like previous updates, the "managed payments" update is going to be a mess. Their teams do not test properly before publishing updates and as a consequence they break our systems.

cabin-globa avatar image
0 Likes"
cabin-globa answered ·
A year later and there is still no Financial transaction notification API. Polling the Ebay server for transactions is not the answer and is not scalable. Ebay should be calling our backend server at the moment a sale is completed. This is what PayPal IPN (and webhooks) has done for years. The fact that Ebay did not build this in from the start makes me doubt they understand the needs of a large scale financial transaction API. How exactly do they expect sellers to automate the backend and fulfillment processes? Oh, and today we have funds available in PayPal the moment a sale is completed... now we get to wait days for it to land in a bank account where I don't want it. Great. All for the "benefit" that a buyer can use Google and Apple pay, whoopee. (Yes, I know the real motivation is that Ebay wants a part of the financial transaction revenue). We spent untold hours of programming work to get our backend systems working smoothly with PayPal APIs. Now we get to do it all again, and before we even start we know the Ebay Finance API is inadequate. Great.

kayaqb avatar image
0 Likes"
kayaqb answered ·
Thanks @ zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com, but is it going to be available in the new Sell API?

kayaqb avatar image
0 Likes"
kayaqb answered ·
@ zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com Are there any plans for doing this?

kayaqb avatar image
0 Likes"
kayaqb answered ·
@coddledcanine This is how I am planning to do it. However the problem with this method is that there is small chance of selling the same item, which has just been sold on eBay, on Amazon, my website or some other platform. An instant notification from eBay will help reduce the chance of this happening.
· 2 · Share

I'm not sure what you mean, could you explain further? The APIs will tell you that the sale was from Amazon/eBay/etc. You can use that information to create your own custom message, or store items in databases. I am managing sales from eBay, Etsy, Amazon and PayPal in one application and it is not a problem to differentiate the incoming data.
0 Likes 0 · ·
I'm specifically talking about keeping the stock in sync if selling across multiple sales platforms. If I sell an item on eBay, there is chance the same item may sell on Amazon before I have a chance to update the stock in the database. I am aware that the stock may be out of sync for at most 5-10 minutes if I manually poll eBay for orders and that there's only a slim chance of this happening, but there is still a real possibility of this happening, especially for larger clients. Also not good explaining to customers that the item they have bought is out of stock.
0 Likes 0 · ·
coddledcanine avatar image
0 Likes"
coddledcanine answered ·
I am not sure whether or not eBay offers this IPN service or not. I'm using the getOrders call to the Fulfillment API in order to do this. I have it calling every 5 minutes or so, where each time a new order shows up, I add the order information to a database. You could easily set this up to notify you about a new order with a mail function. I assume 5 minutes is not anywhere near the maximum request rate available, it's just all I need for my application. https://developer.ebay.com/api-docs/sell/fulfillment/resources/order/methods/getOrders#_samples

kayaqb avatar image
0 Likes"
kayaqb answered ·
@ zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com I'd like to know as soon as an order has been placed and paid on eBay. Ideally receive the order ID from eBay so I can retrieve the order details. If this isn't possible, just a notification will do which tells me a new order has been placed and paid. Thanks

zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com avatar image
0 Likes"
zhuowei.developersupport@ebay.com answered ·
Hi kayaqb, Can you let me know what user notification events are you interested in? Best Regards,

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.