question

robbsmellsfunny avatar image
0 Likes"
robbsmellsfunny asked ·

Search API returns extraordinarily low number of results

When I use the search API to search for a term, the number of results I get back is orders of magnitude lower than what I would get if I used the website. For example, searching for DSLR in the digital camera category returns 22,461 items on ebay.com. Doing this same search in the API returns 12 items with the following API call: https://api.sandbox.ebay.com/buy/browse/v1/item_summary/search?q=dslr&category_ids=31388 Is this typical? Is this expected? Is there anything I can do to get the same or similar results as the website? I am currently running in the Sandbox environment. Would changing to a Production environment provide more accurate results?
searchsearch-apibrowse apibuybrowse
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

The limited number of items was due to the sandbox. I didn't realize the Sandbox returned a limited number of results. I was under the impression that it used the same results as a production site but items could be bought for testing. Once I switched to a production site, the API worked as expected.
0 Likes 0 · ·
robbsmellsfunny avatar image
0 Likes"
robbsmellsfunny answered ·
Answering my own question here: The limited number of items was due to the sandbox. I didn't realize the Sandbox returned a limited number of results. I was under the impression that it used the same results as a production site but items could be bought for testing. Once I switched to a production site, the API worked as expected.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

helios825 avatar image
1 Like"
helios825 answered ·
Yup, Production is the way to go when making read-only calls to eBay's API.

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.