question

bills_dad avatar image
0 Likes"
bills_dad asked ·

Does the API automatically append SKUs for multiple variation listings like the front end website?

There is no way to use specific SKU's for item variations on the front end website; it will always append your custom SKU with "helpful" characters, even if you entered unique SKU's for every variation. When creating multiple variation listings via the API, does anyone know if eBay keeps its hands off of your custom SKU? Or does the API similarly append your SKU's after remitting them? The documentation for the API does not elude to them appending your SKU, but I would not put it past them to just skip over those types of details. Thanks to anyone who can chime in.
sku
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

bills_dad avatar image
0 Likes"
bills_dad answered ·
Hi there, It is completely possible to add a SKU to each variation of a multi-variation listing through the SYI. The problem is that once you save your custom SKU's via the SYI, eBay appends your custom SKU with additional characters and underscores. The characters that are added to the end of the SKU are the first letter or two of the variation name. A random example item is #132313823144. I offer 5 size variations for this listing (S, M, L, XL, and XXL). When I proceed to the variations edit page and try to assign a specific SKU of "USWhiteEMOJISLEEPING" to the size small variation, eBay saves my custom SKU as "USWhiteEMOJISLEEPING_S". This defeats the purpose of having custom SKUs. A SKU is an internal reference that I should be able to have complete control over. I have spoken with eBay and confirmed that there is no work around through the SYI. What I am interested in knowing is whether eBay similarly edits my custom SKU if I use the API to list rather than the SYI. I'd rather not go through the trouble of creating a functional app just to test this functionality. Thank you for your response.

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

shulmani_developer.support avatar image
0 Likes"
shulmani_developer.support answered ·
Hi, Yes, you are right, there is no way to add SKU to a Variation via the SYI ( Web UI). I am not quiet sure if I understand your question. What are the "helpful" characters that get appended to the SKU? Can you give us an example with an ItemID? The above information will help us. Cheers!!!

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.