question

amtrautwein avatar image
0 Likes"
amtrautwein asked

Did something in the way book ISBN numbers are listed just change or am I losing my mind?

For as long as I can remember, I've been using the GetMultipleItems Shopping API call to retrieve book ISBN-10 and ISBN-13 ItemSpecifics. Since yesterday, July 11, 2017, I've only been able to retrieve the ISBN-10 using the getProductDetails Product API call for books I'm interested in. Can anyone tell me if that's a change or a glitch in the Shopping API or are users starting to list books differently? I don't know what's going on. Thanks
shopping apiitemspecificsgetmulitpleitemsisbn-10
10 |600 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

xiang.developersupport avatar image
0 Likes"
xiang.developersupport answered
Hi amtrautwein, Do you mean that you are not able to get ISBN-13 via GetMultipleItems from July 11, 2017? Anyway, can you please provide the complete request and response, and tell us the expected result? Best Regards,

Up to 2 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 512.0 KiB each and 1.0 MiB total.

amtrautwein avatar image
0 Likes"
amtrautwein answered
Alright. Here's a good example. Please look at this listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/391841498519. In the "Item specifics" section there are a number of specifics listed including MPN, ISBN(-13) and EAN. When I use the following GetMultipleItems request I don't get the same information. The only product identifier is MPN and I want one or more ISBN. In fact, it's rare (anymore) that I get an ISBN in my responses. I do, however, frequently see the information I want in the "Detailed item info" section of the front-end listing (the information now provided by Bowker) but don't know how to retrieve it programatically with any of the API calls available. If you can think of a way to to access that easily, please let me know. Also, if you can point me to any release notes or documents describing the changes being made that affect my ability to get a complete list of product identifiers, I would appreciate it. Thank you taking an interest in answering my question 391841498519 ItemSpecifics 2017-07-17T17:33:57.983Z Success E1021_CORE_APILW_18481359_R1 1021 391841498519 2017-08-16T17:27:17.000Z http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contradictory-College-Conflict-Origins-Impacts-and-Futures-/391841498519 FixedPriceItem 90031 http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/pict/3918414985198080_1.jpg http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDMzMw==/z/bwkAAOSwTuJYxPh4/$_8.JPG?set_id=89040003C1 2228 Books:Textbooks, Education 0 9.42 Active P29DT23H53M20S Brand Brand: State University of New York Press MPN 0791419568 Publication Year 1994 Language English Format Paperback US true 5000 Good

clickimusprime avatar image
0 Likes"
clickimusprime answered
Use the productId (ReferenceID) returned by findItemsAdvanced (Finding API) and pass it to FindProducts (Shopping API) to get the IDs. But it's not as efficient as GetMultipleItems because you can't get 20 at once. If you know the ISBNs up front, you can flip the approach and just search for them using findItemsAdvanced with keywords=9780791419564 xiang - This would be a lot more efficient if all the product IDs : ISBN/UPC/EAN/etc were returned by findItemsAdvanced in the first place. This is core product information.

0 Likes"
Hi all, We are discussing internally and will keep you update. By the way, just in case you are also interested in the new API https://developer.ebay.com/devzone/rest/api-ref/browse/item-item_id__get.html#Samples I am able to get the information below: "localizedAspects": [ { "type": "STRING", "name": "UPC", "value": "0065373015952" }, { "type": "STRING", "name": "ISBN", "value": "9780373892259" }, { "type": "STRING", "name": "EAN", "value": "0065373015952" } ],

sareen_eng avatar image
0 Likes"
sareen_eng answered
@xiang.developersupport - any update on this issue? I do see that the new API gives the ISBN, however the new API does not support checking multiple items with a single call (like getMultipleItems), and so is much less efficient. I'd hit my API limits quickly with the new API. Thanks for your time.

0 Likes"
@sareen_eng The engineering team has found the root cause. Would you please provide some business impact? Best Regards,

sareen_eng avatar image
0 Likes"
sareen_eng answered
@xiang.developersupport - I ended up re-writing my script to use the less efficient method, and had to request an API limit increase (which I did get). If the old method works again, I can try and migrate my script back and see how it performs.

0 Likes"
@sareen_eng The item mentioned is ended. The engineer team need to reproduce the issue again, would you please provide an active item?

0 Likes"
@sareen_eng According to the update from the engineering team, previously we were reading product identifiers like isbn, ean etc, but we stopped reading product identifiers since September 2015. Did you ever see ISBN and now it stopped suddenly? Best Regards, VIAS-2992

Write an Answer

Hint: Notify or tag a user in this post by typing @username.